NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Registax help please!!

Hi all

A few weeks ago I put up some footage of Saturn which was taken without a Barlow lens and I was informed that it was just basically too small to work with, so now I have gone for something a little closer to home, the Moon!! I have loads of footage of it, but for some reason (well, the reason is I don't have a clue what I'm doing) I can't get it to register in Registax, and the result is, well, bizarre.

Would anyone like to have a play with it?? You can download it here - it's just over 170mb.

Thanks people!!

http://db.tt/2RS9YSu

Have you seen the exellent video tutorial on the "Astronomy Shed" forum - look in the tutorials section (obviously!! :) ). It takes you through a basic "Moon" avi stacking process with every stage explained in detail.

Hope this helps.

like stated above the best thing to do is learn yourself im still learning and would say that i dont know what im doing in registax still . but i have managed to produce some excellent (for me and my scope) results

would i be able to do better if i knew more of course but like a wise man once said

every journey must start with but a single step

so i would also advise look at the astro shed tutorials and crack on they may not be as good as others may do but will all be your own work

star

[edit] i have a question for anyone that can answer why are avi files i take of the moon so big i.e like 10-20 mins of footage runs into gb 1 and a half hour films are not this much also downloading you avi i will have a shot also try doing your self then asking in the imaging section what your doing rong if your not happy with final pic

no good sry i have no experiance of using avi shot when moon is drifting across the screen and it came out blurred

one thing tho you dont say what scope/mount you have as your avi are much clearer than mine if you could fit a motor to your mount you would get some cracking shots

sry again told you i know nothing also :)

star

Imaging with a dobsonian telescope is tricky. The moon moves across the field of view of the camera fairly quickly and will give Registax a big problem when trying to align the frames. Registax needs the same features (craters) in each frame of the AVI to align. With a dobsonian these alignment points will be at different postions on each frame and may eventually disappear. It should be possible for you to edit the AVI in virtualdub to remove the beginning of the AVI up to a point where a large portion of the screen is filled with the moon and remove the end where the moon starts to disappear again. Save the AVI as a new file then process that one in Registax. Find a feature on a frame close to the beginning of the video and use that as your alignment point.

Quick and dirty. I could probably be able to add the missing bottom part of the image by saving that part of the video as a separate file and then combining the two stills in a mosaic.

ps In Registax, when you get to the stack function, select the expand to maximum image size option.

Peter

post-17907-133877615734_thumb.jpg

I think I'm getting the general idea of what to capture and what to cut out. I had a good night's efforts on Saturday night, so we'll see what springs forth from the AVIs.

I'll be going through those tutorials too, thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Archived