Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ScopeTeknix Filter wheel

...I wouldn't recommend Scopeteknix....

I have one and am very pleased with it. What's supposed to be wrong with them? It's only a filter wheel. A budget one, yes, but mine works very well.

Doesn't has number of current active filter/other indicator, and it's harder to switch a filter in it compared to BS Astro I had :) There are also two versions - one with and another one without T-threads. The second one is less suitable for imaging setups :icon_eek:

And new Scopeteknix FW has similar price to BS Astro (90 vs 99). I had both :rolleyes:

Fair enough. But that doesn't mean that it's a bad wheel at all. Mine is all loaded up with filters so I don't need to change them, it has the T-threads, and I have put a little marker on the wheel so I know which one is in use. That doesn't seem much of a sacrifice, as it seems a very sturdy filter wheel, and cheaper than the others. Ok, only 10 quid cheaper, but 10 quid is 10 quid.

I've always wondered what the point is of those silly cheap filter wheels you can get on Ebay. The ones that have three slots, but only one empty one, the other two being occupied with a so-called 'nebula' and a 'planetary' filter. Anyone used one of these?

Fair enough. But that doesn't mean that it's a bad wheel at all. Mine is all loaded up with filters so I don't need to change them, it has the T-threads, and I have put a little marker on the wheel so I know which one is in use. That doesn't seem much of a sacrifice, as it seems a very sturdy filter wheel, and cheaper than the others. Ok, only 10 quid cheaper, but 10 quid is 10 quid.

That's pretty much what I do with mine. I have colour coded insulation tape for indicators and it hasn't caused any issues. My only real gripe with the wheel is that it would have been nice for them to add some kind of cover for the open part but I just have a piece of cloth to cover it over to stop any light leakage. Other than that it's served it's purpose without any fuss not over 3 years :).

Tony..

I've always wondered what the point is of those silly cheap filter wheels you can get on Ebay. The ones that have three slots, but only one empty one, the other two being occupied with a so-called 'nebula' and a 'planetary' filter. Anyone used one of these?

The KSON ones that used to be sold for around £70 by the "old" Telescope planet... I gave a few away.. Russ had one of them its was pictured on his CF modded scope.. wonder if he can comment on how well the filters work :)

http://www.ksonoptics.com:8081/Product/PrdDtls/131/

I have a ScopeTeknix wheel and use if for RGB with the DMK21AU04AS... light leakeage doesnt seen to be too much of a problem for that application

Peter...

I have used the ScopeTeknix wheel and did have a problem with light leakage using a 285 chipped ccd but it is light weight and never missed a filter position, I then switched to an original TruTek filter wheel which is totally enclosed and didn't have a problem. The Atik wheel is nice though again can suffer from light leakage! I'm now using a usb wheel so may sell my Trutek wheel (7 position 1.25" filters) just gutted that my usb wheel has room for only five filters :)

Mine's fine. I rarely use anything else though I do have an electric one. The manual one never goes wrong which is why I use it. I mark one position on the wheel with white paint and count round from there.

Olly

Archived