SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orthagonal check

Is there a way of checking that a reflector tube (and it's optical alignment) is orthaganol with the saddle of my mount and therefore orthagonal with the axis of the mount?

i am trying to use Digital setting circles (no Goto) but find that they are not as accurate as they should be and i suspect that orthagonality is in the frame.

Ray

Ray - Just observe the same star one side of the meridian the flip and observe again. If the digital setting circles give the same reading it's orthogonal if not it's not! Shim the tube rings until it is ok.

Andrew

O.k Andrew, i'll give that a try, i have struggled with the initial set up procedure, which means that when i try to align on a star i get a Warp reading of E.G. 34.00 deg's when it should be nearer to 0.00 +-.05, i assumed that this is due to orthagonal issues' i'll try again when the weather improves.

Ray

Ray,

Can you explain your "Warp readings of EG" ????

Normally the cone error ( your orthagonal error) is a degree or so at the most.

As mentioned check on either side of the pier and shim/ adjust 50% and re-check.

I'll try Andrew, the DS Circles are pretty new to me though i have had them on the mount for some time, they are the AAM type just like NGC max!

i have attached a couple of PDF files just for info.

I do not see any issues with the operational side just with the accuracy of the readings.

The Warp factor i refer to is a measure of the difference in the reading obtained; to a predicted postion in the units software that should be shown!

Thanks for your replies

Much apprieciated

Ray

advanced_astro_master manual.pdf

initial_align.pdf

Just out of interest Andrew, i looked up "Cone error" you have already helped me a lot, i did not realise that this was the term for Orthagonal issues, many searches on the web did not reveal it for me either, so many thanks for your post, i can chase it down a little easier for it.

Ray

Archived