Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn's looking tasty tonight...

AlexM

It's starting to get out of my view now - a little too westward from my balcony. I have had plenty of time with saturn this year though, and I still never tire of looking at it!

Yep - nice even at 250x with my C5 SCT although it's a bit windy here so lower mag makes more sense.

I've just seen a faint satellite transit the planetary disk, right across the ring plane which was fun for a few moments.

Tonight was the first night I've been able to use 250x and still have a really crisp image. During the moments of really good seeing I think I even got hints of the Cassini division, or was that just wishful thinking with a 6" newt? I even got a "wow, flipping amazing" (or words to that effect :) )from my dad who isn't usually that bothered.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought I could see it but I almost can't believe it so I just assume it's my eyes playing tricks on me. Good to know it was though. :)

I was seeing the Cassini Division "on and off" tonight with my 5" SCT. It's quite a tough detail to see though, unless the seeing if really excellent, so I can quite understand why it's a challenge. Like many astro objects though, having seen it once, it's a whole lot easier to spot the next time :)

When I first started to look for it (many moons ago now) I was looking too close to the planet on the ring faces. When I did spot the division I was surprised how far out towards the edges of the ring ansae you need to look for it.

Looking Just up to the right of saturn and also a looking a little further up to the left are these 2 of the 31 of saturns moons or just stars?

Only looking through binos so not got a massive amount of detail. Looking nice and clear tonight tho! No work tomorrow either so looks like its gona be a late one!! 8-)

Mark.

Looking Just up to the right of saturn and also a looking a little further up to the left are these 2 of the 31 of saturns moons or just stars?

Only looking through binos so not got a massive amount of detail. Looking nice and clear tonight tho! No work tomorrow either so looks like its gona be a late one!! 8-)

Mark.

What instrument was that Mark ? - "right" varies depending on refractor / mak / SCT, newtonian or binoculars :)

Edit - OK, it's binoculars !. The star to the right of Saturn with the naked eye is Gamma Virginis (Porrima). A nice tight double star with scopes.

Try this Javascript utility on this web page to find where Saturns moons are at any given time (and you can vary the instument):

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3308506.html

Lovely veiwing tonight, had a friend and his girlfriend over tonight, both were interested in this new hobbie i talk about and both said WOW when they saw saturn for the first time:)

Both cant wait till we get the new dob now:D i explained the images through that would be much better! It was nice too see them both genuinly excited.

I had the pleasure of viewing Saturn tonight through the 10" Kensington Refractor at the Norman Lockyer Observatory. Even though it seems a decent modern amateur telescope would give it a run for its money for viewing quality, it was a special moment being in the dome up the ladder looking through the 120+ yr old tube.

Tethys, Titan and Rhea were all easily visible. Dione was hidden behind the rings and there was some debate as to whether Enceladus could be seen off to the other side.

If anything, Saturn itself was perhaps too bright in the eyepiece to make out any fine detail although it was a very sharp image. One major cloud ring could be seen as well as the Cassini division.

Next time I'll see if they can add any filters to enhance the contrast. From a webcam test the other night, Saturn certainly appears to look very detailed with a red filter.

A great night out at the NLO and certainly worth the trip. :)

Archived