Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik Artemis

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I assume you can therefore set Artemis up to control a series of images from the camera and move the filters at pre set times in the image sequence?

Thanks

Freddie

I think the later versions can. I am not a fan of all computer control since computers are fatally useless on reliability and my fingers work a treat for moving the wheel... but I am an old goat!!

Olly

Thanks for getting back on this one.

Olly - people have said that when moving a wheel by hand, the movement can cause the guiding (I use an ST80 and PHD) to be lost. i assume you don't have a problem?

Anna - thanks for confirming, guess the automatic option means you don't have such problems and would be good for me as i would probably forget to move to the next filter !!!!

Thanks

Freddie

Hi Freddie - I have a manual Atik filter wheel (in fact, it used to be Anna's!) and although I haven't had it very long (I've only used it 3 times so far), I can confirm that I haven't lost guiding when moving the filter wheel by hand yet... You just use both hands - One to steady the wheel, and the other to rotate it.

Thanks for getting back on this one.

Olly - people have said that when moving a wheel by hand, the movement can cause the guiding (I use an ST80 and PHD) to be lost. i assume you don't have a problem?

Thanks

Freddie

It is true that 'Don't touch the telescope' is a good rule and, yes, you do disturb the guider when moving the wheel. If it loses the star (unusual) then I just restart the guider. It takes less than 10 seconds on my system.

SInce I do a lot a changing around of scope-camera combinations with guests I inevitably get involved with USB port nonesense very easily. That is probably why I'm anti electric. If I just had a fixed system for myself then I would use my electric wheel I think. On the other hand, electric wheels can refuse to work when too cold, rest in the wrong place and not be recognized for no reason whatever by their software. I have seen them all.

Olly

If your careful, as I guess you will be then you should never lose the guide star unless your wheel is really stiff or something and even if you did just let it settle back down and reselect the star in PHD, no need for it to take more than 10 seconds really :)

To lose the guiding when using a manual filter wheel you would have to have a touch like an elephant! or maybe be using a cricket bat to turn the wheel :)

I've used a couple of different manual wheels and have not lost the guiding, though you do of course have to let it settle down once you have switched filters.

I'm using an Atik usb wheel now and have had problems "as Olly has already pointed out" With a one frame in about 10 coming through to the pc corrupt so I'm still ironing out gremlins there BUT I can live with it considering I can just let the thing run a full sequence of images while I sleep!

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived