Next purchase (eyepiece)

Ok so I have my SW 150P AZ-Goto with the kit eyepieces (10mm, 25mm 2x barlow)

What would be the best next investment (not planning on spending any more until I have got the most out of the standard kit)

I'm assuming a better quality eyepiece or two - would that be correct? If so what should I get to get the best "bang for my buck"?

If not eyepieces then what?

I didn't know that Skywatcher did a 150mm alt-az GOTO ?.

Is yours a 150mm optical tube on the mount that normally has a 130mm scope on perhaps ?.

On eyepieces I reckon a 32mm plossl and a decent quality (eg: TMB Planetary) replacement for the stock 10mm plus a decent quality (eg: TAL 2x) barlow lens would be worth considering.

John has recommended what best to add regards EP's and my only addition would be that if you have an iPhone there are some really good apps for astronomers that don't cost the earth and would help out you finding night sky objects no end.

SPACEBOY

Yep definitely get a 32mm plossl. Or a 24mm hyperion if you want the same amount of sky but a wider view and higher price tag. Keep an eye out for televue plossls second hand on sites like astro buy and sell :)

Thanks Spaceboy. Currently I use Starmap, Star Walk & GoSkyWatch plus I'm using tapatalk to post to this forum. Is there any app that will accurately give you your latitude & longitude?

You shouldn't need real time lat/long with a goto mount as once you are star aligned it should find the objects with in the finder view at least. I recommended apps as you often get a picture of what you can expect to see, if it's above the horizon and more importantly it's magnitude.

In my humble opinion the Antares deluxe Barlow x2 coz you can unscrew the base and pop it on to any ep to give x1.5 therefore your 2 eyepieces become 6. Also I have just got a 6mm planetary TMB from "sky's the limit" excellent value for £41 and they offer a try before you buy where you can compare several ep's at once for up to 2 weeks. They were very helpful. Hope this is some help.

Clear skies.

Archived