Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

equatorial platforms - pros and cons

Hi everyone.

I'm musing over whether to go for an equatorial platform. My interests appear to be swaying in the direction of planetary observing, but I like the detailed images a well-collimated big dob gives me - just not the way they zip across the fov at high mag! Auto-tracking doesn't work brilliantly for me in the flextube to the point where I've abandoned it(I thin kthe motors can't cope with too much weight). Anyone here own an equatorial platform? And if you do, what do you think of them?

Much obliged.

Alex

There are several members on SGL who have all had success with their EQP's. Different designs and levels of complexity but all amount to the same goal of giving you roughly an hours tracking. I found it a surreal experience using my dob for the first time on an EQP having only ever manually tracked and I would recommend it to anyone with a bit of DIY skills to give it a go. If the seeing was to ever permit a 10" dob at full power would require an EQP or similar device as it just simply isn't practical to nudge at 450 - 500x magnification.

I completely agree with Nick. It's a great way to create a tracking platform for a dob (which I also 'love').

Here's my thread which includes a lot of changes along the way as it evolved. Cost me about £100 altogether but you could do this for less. Best to read to the end. http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/127311-equatorial-platform-dobsonian-telescopes.html

Nick's is much better built than mine.

If I take the time to align mine pretty accurately I get a long time before I have to just do one small nudge and then observe again for a long period (not as long as an hour but probably could get there with more fine tuning - I'd prefer to observe!). works well with slight drift at 400x. I use orthos mainly for planetary viewing too. you get even longer of course with a 60 degree field or more.

I'll almost certainly be making one for my 16" too when this is complete.

you'll never regret it.

Thanks folks. That platform thread looks like a monster. I'll have a good nose at it. I admit my DIY skills are pants though!

Ok had a good read - probably out of my depth when it comes to the DIY stuff, but the principles of the platforms look really good.

BTW, Moonshane - that 6 inch F11 dob of yours looks really interesting. I imagine it's a proper planet scope.

Alex

one of the good things about the design I used is that you can use all straight cuts - no sectors required.

you just need to work out the speed of the drive system you use to equate to 15 degrees per hour.

it's a great project and a lot better than spending £450 on one!

There is this equatorial-platforms-uk but as Shane said you could make one for £100. I bet if you took plans to a local carpenter they would probably only charge £50 + materials and all you would need is the motor, handful of bolts and bearings. There are some links in this thread that may come in useful http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/134113-eq-platform-help.html

Archived