Hyperion for DSO?

I have been impressed with the performance of my Hyperions and am looking to add to the line-up.Advice from fellow users please-for DSO's which would suit my 1200f/l f6 Dob best,the 24mm or the 31mm Aspherical?:)

Depends - the 31mm will give a wider view but the 24mm might give better contrast. I'd say go for the 31mm if you need a "finder" or you have access to very dark skies.

The 24mm gives you 1.36 degrees FOV which is wide enough for most DSOs so it would be a good choice too.

The 24mm is of different design to the rest (Idem, partly the 21mm). The 31mm is different again - Being 2", "Aspheric" n'all. The TRUE field of the 24 & 31mm are [iMO] not THAT different. The 24mm is claimed to be inferior to the rest. The 31 has "interesting" properties re. variation of sharpness across the field - Perhaps reflecting it's "Aspheric" nature. To be frank, I don't think EITHER perform hugely better than many others of similar focal length - The construction is better than many AND matches the remaining Hyperion series though... :)

I use the 24mm along with the 17mm for Dso's. The 24mm is a slightly different design to the others. The eyeglass is a little smaller for looking through and the fine tuning rings don't work with it as it has no barlow element like the others. That said its still a fine eyepiece. I sold my 32mm plossl when i bought it as the Hyperion had roughly the same fov but with the added bonus of more contrast due to the extra magnification. I haven't used the 31mm Aspheric but only hear good things about it.

The difference with this Hyperion from the rest of the line is found in the 1.25" barrel. All the Hyperions of shorter focal length have a lens grouping housed within the 1.25" barrel, so when you remove that section and insert a Fine Tuning Ring you can adjust the resulting focal length of the eyepiece. In the 24mm's case, there are no lenses housed in the 1.25" barrel. So while fine tuning rings can still be inserted, they will have no affect.

Archived