Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which lens?

chemtom24

Hi

I appreciate this isnt an astronomy question as such, but i thought you might be able to help me out.

I have a canon 400d with kit lens and a 50mm 1.8, however I was out yesterday and I wanted to zoom in on a rather friendly robin, but being stuck with the 18-55 kit lens I couldnt.

So..

Is there a zoom lens that is reccomended amongst photographers? I am not looking to spend *too* much money, and certainly wouldnt mind buyng a generic lens if they are alot cheaper without much loss of quality?

Can anyone point me towards a good website or second hand place to look at?

Thanks very much

Tom

thanks billy.

could you tell me if there is any difference between these two, aside from the 90/75mm

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk - Used Secondhand Canon EF 90-300mm f/4-5.6

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk - Used Secondhand Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM III

what one would you go for?

Age is the main thing, the latter is older than the first one.

The optics of the latter are a smudge better but pretty average by today's standards.

If you can find one of these:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS Lens (2044B005BA) - Warehouse Express

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS Lens second-hand for similar money it is far better in all aspects.

I tend to have a look here for Canon lens reviews...

Canon Lens Reviews

I used to have a 75-300 and the results were ok on the 1000D but too soft for me on the higher MP 500D havent tried the 90-300...

I have also used a sigma 28-300 as a walkabout lens...

I'm more used to Nikkors as at heart I am still a Nikon man (and still grab it for most of my photography) but use canons for astro but have moved over to a couple of L series zooms...

As MjrTOM posted The 55-250 IS is a tidy lens

Remember if you want to use a clip in filter you will need EF compatible lenses not EF-s...

thanks everyone for your help, very much appreciated :p

i will buy the ebay linked one later on - gotta hop in shower quick before going to a gig tonight, then maths exam tomoro :D

thanks again

tom

Can't comment on Canon lenses (Nikon user), but a general rule is that a zoom lens shouldn't have a zoom ratio of more than 2 or 3; that is to say that the longest focal length shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 times that of the widest focal length of the same lens. More than that, and zoom lenses start to suffer far more from the compromises necessary to make them jacks of all trades; variable maximum aperture, various distortions, etc.

Having said that, the Nikon 18-200 VR was always surprisingly good (really neat little travel lens), and a lot is being put into these kinds of optics, now that photography is becoming increasingly popular and accessible.

Look forward to seeing the results from your new glass, chemtom.

Archived