Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron great polaris c8?

hi guys/girls

can anybody tell me anything about said scope I no someone who was left it and wants to sell it as they have no interest in astronomy, I'v been on line trying to find out about it can find plenty about c8 models but nothing about great polaris could this be because it maybe a older model any help would be appreciated. robbie c

These were an older model of the C8 which were mounted on the Vixen GP mount. Potentialy very nice scopes although the alloy tripod legs were not as good as the wooden option.

These would have been sold new around the mid 1990's. Drives for the mount can be a bit hard to find these days.

Optically usually very good. I believe that Celestron produced some of their best scopes during this period.

Check on line for Vixen astro products (a Japanese company) they are still around, and you may be able to find motors that way. Many others like Orion USA also have sold the mount, so you may be able to find 3rd party drive motors for yours - that's the way I did it! I have a nice Celestron 80mm on a GP mount.

Agree on the wooden legs! Much better than the metal ones. you may be able to fabricate new DIY legs using - of all things - wooden crutches! :D:p You can get those very cheap at a 2nd hand goods store around here (like the Salvation Army store.) Of course - the fellow behind the counter is likely to think you're more than a bit odd when you come in looking for three crutches!!!

Dan

Yeah Robbie! :D Odd as it seems the crutch mount works well. If you think about it, a wooden crutch for an adult has to be able to hold up to 200 lbs without flexing. They are really strong!!! Just be sure you get a 'matched set' that are all the same.

Dan

Archived