second hand

i've decided that i need to check on the second hand market first, more scope for less £

what % of the new price do scopes sell for second hand ?

It varies between around 50% and 70% (approx) depending on the brand and condition of course. I'd avoid e.bay unless you know exactly what you are looking for. Until you can access the buy & sell section here (50+ posts plus a months membership) this site is worth keeping an eye on:

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

thanks john

just need a few more post up ........... 42 !......... then look on here

.........go on, ask me a question.............with 42 different answers

OK, so how about "if you knew the precise diameter of the universe, you would need pi to an accuracy of how many decimal places to get a circumference with no greater error than the radius of a hydrogen atom?"

[Answer: 39. One of those weird facts I got out of a mathematics journal years ago, and it always stuck in my mind.]

shouldn't have told me the answer, i would have started with number 1 & straight into the second hand page when i got the answer right

shouldn't have told me the answer, i would have started with number 1 & straight into the second hand page when i got the answer right

With my Moderator hat on I also have to say that meaningless posts designed just to get you to the 50 posts level will get deleted. But I'm sure you will be sensible :)

point taken john, thanks for pointing that out ( i did wonder about that myself ) & i will of course be sensible........besides, i have over 2 weeks still to go.........& still much to find out

This matches very well with my experience in a scope shop from years gone by. Almost nothing was over 70% original price unless it was rare or 'collectable' in some way. Less than 50% of the orig price usually meant some sort of flaw or other - reducing the effective value to almost zero.

It's sort of a quantum function, I guess! :)

Dan

It varies between around 50% and 70% (approx) depending on the brand and condition of course. I'd avoid e.bay unless you know exactly what you are looking for. Until you can access the buy & sell section here (50+ posts plus a months membership) this site is worth keeping an eye on:

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Archived