SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fast (F6 or faster) ED Refractor...choices?

Just checking the recommended TS 80/480mm and it may be over budget but it's value for money.

The problem is you need a flattener and then the adapter and it goes through the roof to about £830 squid before postage. Kills that off.

The Ian King 70mm looks very good for the price and includes a flattener for around the £330 mark.

But that TS has spun my head. At least the flattener can be used on other scopes.

Just to turn the screws a bit so to speak. :D

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/108870-ts-triplet-fpl-53-apo-80-480-arived-today.html

John

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leave! Leave now! hahaha

Oh dear...I'm now looking at a triplet :D Saying that...it would be wise to save a little longer if fast scopes have issues that a triplet can solve.

Nah, seriously...I appreciate the recommendation. Bet they're like hens teeth on the secondhand market.

Off to read your review....

:p

(the 10D doesn't take clip filters so it would have to be 2" but will it cope with thst much LP?)

90ish seconds at ISO800...

You should be ok

4906637355_b5fda7c25f_m.jpg

This is 8 seconds at ISO800 to give you an idea how bad the LP is near me however I have managed to get a few images, not great but not too shabby either:

5360107740_cfa038a875_m.jpg

Butterfly Nebula (IC 1318)

5200639439_e60941d92f_m.jpg

Heart & Soul Nebulae

Only been imaging a few months but you get the idea.

These were taken using the Astronomic CLS Clip LP filter. Subs in the region of 3 to 5 minutes. (full details in the links)

Since you cant use the CLS clip filters I would use the 2 Inch filter screwed into the nosepiece or flattener.

The LP filter allows me to increase the exposure times typically fourfold.

How often have I heard those words. There is no known cure for astronomy addiction you know. :D

John

Join the AA (astronomers anonymous) I have had to after buying my 21, 17, 13 ethos and 2x powermate woops I am not anonymous now

I know what the cure for me is. That's the other half being absolutely livid that I'd spend so much out of our budget. Sweet talking just wouldn't cut it. :D

It's actually my major concern at this moment in time :p

But looking at upping my budget also opens doors elsewhere.

I should get a grip and stick to plan A.

Hahaha...yeh right...easier said than done ;)

The only reason I took the APM over the TS was that the APM site automatically gave you the discount, whereas at the TS site did not (you needed to send an e-mail). The prices were the same at the time. The current price is a bit more than the old price (on both sites). I have ordered from both TS and APM and so far both have been great.

So...I've decided :D

I'm going for the APM 80/480 bundle as he emailed back to me and he also includes a Canon ring.

Just scraping the pennies but I have high hopes for this addition :p

Thanks for all the input guys ;)

ps. The flattener is not cheap in this scope but obviously necessary. What do the users think of it?

Just clicked buy :hello2:

In the end I went with the TS 80/480 triplet. They can offer me the same deal as APM but I bought the scope first as I can't wait for the rest of the cash. Cash burns my pockets and I need my scope :p

TS have kept the offer open for the rest (flattener, adapter etc) at the same bundle price. :)

Should make the perfect companion for the 120 ;)

MASSIVE THANKS to all your inputs and recommendations. :)

Just clicked buy :hello2:

In the end I went with the TS 80/480 triplet. They can offer me the same deal as APM but I bought the scope first as I can't wait for the rest of the cash. Cash burns my pockets and I need my scope :p

TS have kept the offer open for the rest (flattener, adapter etc) at the same bundle price. :)

Should make the perfect companion for the 120 ;)

MASSIVE THANKS to all your inputs and recommendations. :)

Nice service from TS! Congratulations with the new scoep. You will love it, I do not doubt.

Well thanks to you and John as you guys waxed lyrically about this thing :)

I'm going to try and get the rest asap and get some imaging done as there seems to be very few examples, online, using this scope.

Hmmm...the problem there is the real wasps in our area may become a little to attached :)

Luckily we don't have ducks nearby so duck tape may be safe! haha

One of the guys in another thread used CF vinyl and you'd think it would look tacky...but it doesn't! It looks 100% legit :)

I'll leave it for a good while but it's on the cards :hello2:

Archived