Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colours (no not one of those can I see colour in a DSO? threads)

haitch

Does anyone else have a difference in colour perception between eyes?

I've reached 42 without failing a colour blindness test and have no more than a mild astigmatism that is below the threshold for needing glasses for driving. I've never noticed anything odd about my vision whatsoever.

Yesterday I finally got round to popping my home made Baader solar film filter on the end of my Megrez 88 and having spent a bit of time viewing a sun spot and trying to focus well enough to make out granulation (which I think I did) I also noticed that the sun appears a slightly different colour in each eye. In my left eye it has a yellowy orange hue and in my right it is a proper "Daz" bluey white.

Has anyone else noticed a difference between their eyes?

Does anyone know which eye is showing it as it should look through Baader film?

Am I missing something in one eye or gaining something in the other (it crossed my mind that maybe I'm not filtering UV quite so well in the right)

Any thoughts - I'm bewildered by this :)

ever since i was little ive noticed that one eye has a warmer tint to it that the other. i always wondered if it was just an illusion, and never thought id hear of anyone saying the same!

my left eye is cold, my right eye is warm.

only ever use left eye for ep viewing tho so cnt comment on 'scope views.

Hi,

Yes, I have noticed a similar thing with my eyes. I believe it may be caused by the rods and cones in the retina becoming saturated by a particularly strong colour. It should only be temporary.

Liz

Hmmm... maybe it was from squinting with one eye in the general direction of (although not directly at and it was fairly low) the sun whilst lining up of the scope. I shall have to sort out a better method of finding the sun and see whether that stops it. Mind you it had been aligned and tracking for some time (motorised CG5) when I noticed it so if it's that the effect must be quite long lasting.

Chemtom24, that sounds just like it - one warm one cold, if it's not the above I'll have to ask the optician next visit. I tend to prefer the right for viewing which would be the cold one even though that's the one with sligthly inferior vision due to the minor astigmatism.

There could be differences, but the explanation might be the following:

If you have one eye to the scope with the other closed or looking at the ground (assuming you use a star diagonal) your eyes will start to differ in sensitivity to colour due to each setting up a different "white point" effectively. An extreme case of this is obtained by putting on blue/red or green/red stereo glasses for a while, and then taking them off. The eye which had the red filter in front of it sees everything in a greenish tint, the other in a reddish tint. You could try to reverse the order in which you use your eyes, ensuring that if your left eye is to the EP, the right eye looks at some uniform background, and when you right eye is at the EP, the left eye sees the same background, illuminated in the same way.

If differences persist, there may be a permanent difference in colour sensitivity.

Archived