Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crazy Ideas

rabbithutch

Crazy idea #1:

Would it be possible to create a poll (or a series of polls) that would elicit the types, sizes, mounts, etc. that folks here have in their kit? Or, better yet, a feature whereby members might record their information and the forum software (or moderators) could compile the info into a table? I'm not interested in anyone identifying their gear and associating it with their name so much as I am in knowing the most commonly used gear and the most exotic, presented in a user friendly, perhaps tabular, form.

Crazy idea #2:

I'd like to be able to see ratings of gear done by members, again in tabular form and not identifying anyone by name. For example, one category might be 1.25" dia. EPs. We could nominate them by manufacturer (Meade, Sirius, Televue, ...) and within manufacturer list element designs (Keller, Plossl, otho, ... Nagler) and within each type show the sizes available (eg, 7.5mm, 12.5mm, ...) and then a rating for each as to its relative value (1-star, to 5-star, maybe). By keeping track of how many (NOT who) report owning items listed, one would get a feel for the quality of items in viewer opinions.

This sort of enumeration of gear could extend to all commonly used gear (or that which amateur star gazers would generally consider for themselves). We could do binos by mfgr then by size then we could move on to scopes (refractors, newtonians, SCFs, Maks) and further assort them by size of lens or mirrors, etc.

I lack the knowledge, information, experience to take this on but would be more than willing to do any grunt work required to tabulate the data. I would be glad to do a 'straw dog' format or two but would like to know if the interest is sufficient to spend the time.

Anyone else like to see such a resource built by members? I think it could become an excellent reference for the many questions we all have at some point or other in making purchase decisions, plus it would give us a pretty good idea about what gear is most commonly used.

My hat's in the ring if there is any way I can contribute.

Re #2:

I think a problem may be that people like me tend to 'stick with what I like'. So, for example, I think Pentax eyepieces are brill, they suit me down to the ground. I have quite a few and would gladly recommend them to others. But how much of that is down to a Pentax being the first 'decent' eyepiece I ever used, and me just sticking with what I knew rather than risk £250 on an unknown? What is my opinion actually worth when I have not got any Naglers with which to compare?

At first glance a good idea. But I would think that something like this would mean an awful lot of work for someone and would it really serve any real purpose other than to satisfy idle curiosity.

You can easilly add a poll to any thread you start under thread tools menu at the top of the thread. All you have to do is supply the specific question you want answered in your first post. It creates a bar graph as you go along. You are at liberty to note the numbers in a spreadsheet and play with it to your hearts content :)

People often identify their main kit in their signatures so no need to worry on that count. Those that don't can just click the box :p

Compiling the factual information about how many people use what kit is fine - it's just factual. It's the rating / scoring part that I think will be the problem as DP says. I just can't think how you could find a rating system that could be applied consistently by people with varying preferences, budgets, experience and observing conditions.

I find the best way is to read as many reviews and viewpoints on a given item as I can find (good old Google !). As I do this certain traits, trends, strengths and weaknesses start to become clear so you can build up a fairly good idea of how the item is likely to perform for you.

Archived