Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

diy electric focuser

starship trooper

Hi there,

I am looking to make my own electric focuser but would like to be able to control it from my pc how would I do this ?i am going to use a servo that I have laying about ,is there any body out there that has done this and has already done a write up on it.

All help appreciated cheers dazz

I'm thinking of using a DC motor and gearbox :- Multi Ratio Motorgearboxes : Motors Gearboxes : Maplin

Not quite decided on the computer interface. I have a USB interface board which I may use :- USB Experiment Interface Board : ExperimentProgrammer Kits : Maplin

OTOH I might use the 1-wire network that I'm developing with my home grown weather station.

I did a great deal of investigation into focuser motors several years ago and decided that this range of products

RS Components | Electronic and Electrical Components

was the most suitable. The large reduction offered gave the required resolution on my crayford style focuser. I have two or three of these now for focusing SLRs as well as the main scope.

Of course, you need to know how to run a stepper motor, but that is another story!

If anybody is interested

Homemade DIY focuser for telescope with computer control.

I seem to remember that the 1:150 stepper motor with a 5mm shaft gave a resolution of about 0.002mm in focuser travel - about the kind of resolution you need to focuser at F5

NB The motor/gearbos survives the element extremely well. Over 5 years and still working!

ST, you can buy USB servo controllers and with software can control how they work.

Ordinary servos only have a travel of about 270° or so. However, if you take them apart, remove the controlling potentiometer and the end-stops you can turn them into reasonably powerful slow-rotating motors.

You have to change the way the control software works, but if you're into a bit of fiddlin' it can be a neat solution.

Archived