NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Messing with wide angles

Kaptain Klevtsov

i,m with u on that one CC i have the same lens and tried it already with the 16hr , but could quite get focus , thats a huge wide field mate and well worth progressing , i cant wait to get mine up and running , i,m sure we could be in for some quality images, a pretty good start that , have to try and get focus on mine once i get back and up and running again , dont look like DSO for a while as my area is completly spoilt now by next door ,

Rog

That image must be very encouraging to you CC. Is there a possibility of you getting an even wider FOV using a 28mm lens, and having a go at the galactic centre? RA 17h 42.4m Dec. -28d 55m I am unaware of your location, so maybe it won't be accessible to you.

Just a thought. :lol:

Don't know what you've done Barkis :lol:

I've got a 35mm lens lying about on my desk that I'd like a bash with, but I've got the same issue that Rog. has with that. I've modified the 58mm and a 135mm to remove the focusing end stops. This lets you turn the ring until you hear a smashing sound in the dark, and the 'puter screen goes all white. Don't want to have to do that to all of them, so an adapter of sorts would be good.

I need to get hold of another T to T adapter and some more bits and pieces to sort this out, and an M42 to T thread (the other way round to a T ring) would be good.

Captain Chaos (wishing he had enough sky between trees to use the 35mm lens)

Don't know what you've done Barkis :D

I've got a 35mm lens lying about on my desk that I'd like a bash with, but I've got the same issue that Rog. has with that. I've modified the 58mm and a 135mm to remove the focusing end stops. This lets you turn the ring until you hear a smashing sound in the dark, and the 'puter screen goes all white. Don't want to have to do that to all of them, so an adapter of sorts would be good.

I need to get hold of another T to T adapter and some more bits and pieces to sort this out, and an M42 to T thread (the other way round to a T ring) would be good.

Captain Chaos (wishing he had enough sky between trees to use the 35mm lens)

Build a Scotch Mount type platform, stepper motor drive. Robust enough to carry camera,lens etc.then take it to a dark site away from obstruction. Do it as a project over a period of time.

You may already have one, so i will shut up now.

:lol:

Like this mate?

http://www.gas.uk.net/contraption/

Captain Chaos

Wow!, You got me CC. That is some tracker. Is it now confined to history, or are you going to trim it's weight, so that it is not a deterrent to its continued use. It may not win a beauty competition, but the whole idea is a portable rig that will do a job at the site of your choosing. I am sure like me, you have sat at many a local astro club meeting, watching slide presentations given by members showing wonderful widefield 28mm 50 mm 135mm etc.. I just got blown away by the high quality that resulted from some of those home made driven trackers. Was it someone called Haig who devised the thing in the first place? They were used a lot by guys in my old society, mainly during Meteor showers, where the streaks of light were imposed on a background of perfectly round stars. As an education tool, it could sometimes indicate the radiant. Anyway, I suppose it is a worthwhile endeavour for some people who do not wish to go to the expense of a telescope setup for astrophotography.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Ron.

Archived