Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

collimation.

I have noticed a lot of people talking about collimation and polar alignment on here since joining, I have always just pointed my scope in the direction and found what I'm looking for. Is this something I should be learning or do I not need to worry too much with my setup?

I agree, polar alignment is not as critical as collimation. In fact I collimate every time I set up one of my telescopes. I only need to do it for my SCT and even that takes a few moments with Bob's Knobs.

Collimation makes a big difference for dimmer DSOs. Actually There were some I never saw until I learned to collimate. Like everything else, it gets easier with practice.

I generally agree with the above, however I would say that Polar Alignment is relatively simple to learn and put into practice so there there should be no excuse for not doing either.........runs for cover.......

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm gonna have to learn I know as I'm sure I will be wanting more appeture before long and I belive it will make alot of difference with a bigger scope.

I think a trip to the local society at the end of the month and as much reading up as possible is in order. Gives me something to do on these cloudy nights I supose, otherwise the wife's going to start expecting some conversation soon!!!

Archived