skywatcher 150pl

good afternoon

could anyone who owns a skywatcher 150pl tell me please the overall lenght of the tube and width please as iam buying one soon and would like to buy a metal storage case or something simaler to store it in when not in use to protect it from damage .

any advice welcome thankyou.

Hi Tony, the box it arrives in is good for storage or if you have the kind of weather we do around here I find its best left together so I can get out when possible. Its not that heavy and can be carried when setup easily.

Enjoy your new telescope.

David

good afternoon

could anyone who owns a skywatcher 150pl tell me please the overall lenght of the tube and width please as iam buying one soon and would like to buy a metal storage case or something simaler to store it in when not in use to protect it from damage .

any advice welcome thankyou.

the length of a Newtonian OTA is generally the same (or slightly shorter) than the focal length.

For instance, my Orion dobsonians (150mm f/8 with 1200mm focal lenght) have a tube length of ~1120 mm.

Be advised that the tubes on mine are metal, and even though high school students use them, and some have been in service for over 10 years in the classroom - there have never been problems with damage, so I'm not so sure how necessary a case will be.

Dan

the length of a Newtonian OTA is generally the same (or slightly shorter) than the focal length.

For instance, my Orion dobsonians (150mm f/8 with 1200mm focal lenght) have a tube length of ~1120 mm.

Be advised that the tubes on mine are metal, and even though high school students use them, and some have been in service for over 10 years in the classroom - there have never been problems with damage, so I'm not so sure how necessary a case will be.

Dan

thankyou for your advice i to work in a school so i now what you meen thanks again.

Hi tony i have one of these also and it isnt small

Its 3.9 feet long....or 45 inches...or 113 cm

Hope that helps!

thankyou very much

hope to get one soon have you any advice on it please and better still is it any good.

Hi tony i have one of these also and it isnt small

Its 3.9 feet long....or 45 inches...or 113 cm

Hope that helps!

good evening i have another question i forgot to ask sorry can you tell me the height of tripod when set up as may leave it in shead instead of packing away each time many thanks .

Hi tony...from what iv read on this forum which inspired myself to get one it is a very competent beginners scope for the inexperienced astronomer (Like me) and the experienced astronomer (Like them).......if your more interested in observing the planets then you cant go wrong with this scope.The eyepieces that are supplied with the scope arnt the greatest so maybe think about replacing these whenever you can but see how you get on first..i saw saturn with these fine and it blew me away.

Because of its size it can be a little wobbly at times on the eq3 mount but its not a big problem,there are ways of fixing this by using extra weight to keep it a bit more stable if need be.

Mine hasnt let me down yet and am still getting great views from it and iv had it for just about 3 months now and i absolutely love the thing.

The mount is roughly 3.4 ft tall (not extended and without scope attached) and 2.2 ft wide at the legs.

Hope that helps...by the way when purchasing any new scope be prepared for endless cloudy nights week after week...it took me three whole weeks to get my first use out of it lol.

Now go..go forth and purchase and be truly amazed by what you see!

Hi tony...from what iv read on this forum which inspired myself to get one it is a very competent beginners scope for the inexperienced astronomer (Like me) and the experienced astronomer (Like them).......if your more interested in observing the planets then you cant go wrong with this scope.The eyepieces that are supplied with the scope arnt the greatest so maybe think about replacing these whenever you can but see how you get on first..i saw saturn with these fine and it blew me away.

Because of its size it can be a little wobbly at times on the eq3 mount but its not a big problem,there are ways of fixing this by using extra weight to keep it a bit more stable if need be.

Mine hasnt let me down yet and am still getting great views from it and iv had it for just about 3 months now and i absolutely love the thing.

The mount is roughly 3.4 ft tall (not extended and without scope attached) and 2.2 ft wide at the legs.

Hope that helps...by the way when purchasing any new scope be prepared for endless cloudy nights week after week...it took me three whole weeks to get my first use out of it lol.

Now go..go forth and purchase and be truly amazed by what you see!

thankyou very much for this info it helps me plane storage space any other advice welcome thankyou.

Hi Tony, the box it arrives in is good for storage or if you have the kind of weather we do around here I find its best left together so I can get out when possible. Its not that heavy and can be carried when setup easily.

Enjoy your new telescope.

David

#good morning david

another question please

how easy is it to set up and put away each time as storage is a problem or is it worth me bulding a small shead to keep it in please or how much space would i req if i left it set up sorry for silly questions any advice .many thanks tony

There's not really a big problem with them, tbh. The space is taken by the tripod legs at the shortest leg length it makes a 66cm triangle footprint. When I was using the EQ3-2 I was storing it with the ota attached, pointing up.

Setting up doesn't take that long, really. I'd leave the dovetail bar and rings on, remove the tube and take the mount out. North is easy enough to find, so point it that way, level the legs using the bubble, polar align with the scope and attach the tube, balance and done. takes about six or seven minutes if you're not rushing and trying not to trip over the dog or stand on the cat.

thankyou so how easy is it to align and wot sort of things have you seen with yours

also i notice you have a SPC900NC is it easy to use as i have one of these thankyou.

Hi Tony, it will take a bit of effort to get used to it. Personally for me its mostly the moon and Planets. Webcam is easy with motors fitted. A simple polar align takes a few minutes and is good enough for viewing. I find this telescope a pleasure to use and am happy to recommend as an ideal starter. I have been using for the last two years, am now ready to upgrade the mount to a HEQ5 Pro but the ota is staying for a long time yet. I have certainly got my moneys worth and then a lot more.

David

Archived