tmb planetary ep's

i guess this quesiton is *litte bit* late since i have already paid for them :o;), but just wondering about peoples opinions on using a 3.2 mm, 5mm and 6mm tmb planetary ep's with a 150p skywatcher?

Have yet to receive any of the above items (!!) but will be able to test in a months time.

So can the eyepieces be used for other things eg dso's?

Also, I realise the 3.2 might give too much mag, but :D, I have used a cheap skywatcher 'super MA 3.6mm' ep with my old 130mm astromaster, and the image of saturn wasnt *too* bad lol. It held up pretty well with that mag.

So any thoughts/comments/advice?

The 3.2 won't see much use. You can have it for those rare nights where it may give you a view to make it wort the money.

If you like to split double stars the 3.2 may be handy too.

The 5 or 6mm will see a lot more use, mostly on planets. For DSOs, only the very small ones may require so much mag, usually they get too dim with high mag.

It may show good results on some planetary nebulae or small globular clusters but that's about it.

I didn't know you could use that size ep's with a 150p, I've got the 150pl and thought i worked out the highest mag ep i could use was 8mm, with a 2x barlow, giving me 300x mag in total. I am only a beginner so my knowledge is a bit limited, but if I can use higher mag ep's could you humour me and offer some advice.

Cheers

I like the BST explorers, I use the 5mm for planetary work, a 8mm for globular clusters and the one I use most is the 18mm.

I have a 3.2mm TMB, which, as others have said, sees little use.

adamski,

tbird is right you have a longer FL which would give a higher mag for a given ep. also though, your telescope wont blow up if you go higher than what u already have. i dont reccommend going out and buying an expensive high mag ep, but perhaps another barlow to double up with just to test it to higher mags. you might be surprised.

While generally our seeing conditions won't allow magnifications over 200-250x to be much use, we do get very occasional excellent nights when you can push things further - it's nights like that that keep us in the hobby ;)

Archived