NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan handset - Can you set a limit on it?

swag72

I have a couple of threads running about some issues that I have had over the past few nights. SOmthing has come up in one of those threads, so I thought I'd ask the question here.

Does the Synscan handset have some form of limit setting that can be used to stop the scope hitting the tripod legs?

I've never updated it and bought it in Feb last 2010. I assume that if I don't have it on my firmware then it can't do it!

Can guiding at near zenith cause the problems I have experienced?

I've not seem the sort of runaway that you are seeing but I've certainly seen funny things when guiding near the zenith that I dont see when imaging elsewhere.

The RA axis is like a see saw in this orientation so I can imagine balance is more of an issue than normal, plus cable snags and any gusts of wind.

When the PHD graph goes off on one the actual movement of the mount could still be quiet small.

How about focuser sag with a heavy camera on it?

Guidings great when it works but so many things can go wrong it's a nightmare when you have a problem.

Just checked myself, slew limits are not an option in the Synscan handset.

They are however an option in the celestron hand controller for the CG5-GT that i also have.

THanks for that Glider - Better not be focus sag, I've just stuck a rather expensive but beautiful orange moonlite on the end!!!

I think maybe I'll just chalk this up to experience and stay away from the zenith for a while!!

Absolutely ;) Most of the year when imaging things away from the zenith I can do 30 minute subs. This time of year when the galaxies I want to image are overhead I struggle to get 10 minute subs.

James

• 2 years later...

I have a couple of threads running about some issues that I have had over the past few nights. SOmthing has come up in one of those threads, so I thought I'd ask the question here.

Does the Synscan handset have some form of limit setting that can be used to stop the scope hitting the tripod legs?

I can't find slew limits on my handset - Just switched it all on to find it!

Ahh, just read post again - Does the mount need to be aligned to show them?

I've just mocked up an alignment and I don't have a 'slew limits' menu in my setup menu. Have just gone through them all and the sub menus :icon_scratch:

I've never updated it and bought it in Feb last 2010. I assume that if I don't have it on my firmware then it can't do it!

Sara: You should be using firmware Version 3.35, which you can get from the SkyWatcher web site. It has "Elevation  Limits" in the Setup menu. You are asked whether or not you want them enabled. If you say you do, you get a chance to set them. However, the manual says this is for Alt-Az mounts. I don't know how well it will work for an EQ.

Evan

Archived