NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I was wondering what improvement fitting a crayford focusser to my mak would give me?

I just got a canon 60D and want the best possible focus. I have a bhat mask and so I don't know if the cray would improve my focusing. I am not bad at judging it manually as well.

But does the Cray enable a much finer focus tune and therefore a big improvement on the scope's current focus ability.

ta.

I can't speak for the original focuser on your mak, but I found the move from a standard 130P focuser to the crayford on my 150dps to make a massive difference. It was a real faff to move the old focuser by small amounts. Having said that, you can theoretically attain perfect focus with either.

Another difference, though, the old focuser was sloppy (it bended slightly when holding the weight of the camera, meaning the focal plane wasn't correctly aligned.)

I have a skymax 127. I haven't gone down the crayford route but i did remove the rubber sleeve from the focus shaft and got a friend with a lathe to make me up a larger diameter shaft which slid over the original and is held with a grub screw. This makes fine focus much easier.

I recently changed my focuser on my SW 120ED - It did come with a dual speed crayford, but it was suffering from focus sag and whatever I did, however I adjusted it, I always suffered from elongated stars. Now I have a beautiful shiny moonlite focuser and I have to say that it has made a massive difference. Not only is the focus lovely and smooth, but the sag has gone too.

Archived