Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observation logs

tim26792

hi tim i have just recently started keeping a log in a little a5 notebook i write down the time and date etc and then what ever object im looking at lets say M51 and then i write down notes of what i can see and the following day i write down in full detail its good fun

Sorry, I have not installed them yet so can't tell you whats what on them, also changed the name to suit my system :p, but if you Google Observing Log, which I just done, you will see a load of forms and downloads. There is load of stuff there to suit everyones needs and more :D

Jim

I use an A5 lab note book and record date and time, sky / weather conditions, temperature, scope and mount used (or bins, whatever..) then for each object which EP / filter combo was best and details of what I saw, how the object looked, other objects in the same field, direct or averted vision to see it, star hopping notes of how I found it etc. I tend to use a sort of shorthand during the session then write it up in full either when I come back in or the next day.

If it's been an imaging session then I log scope and mount, camera / filter, how many subs / darks / flats and an image file reference. Cotswold AS use object_yyyymmdd_observer.file type (e.g. m13_20110504_mcrae.jpg) as a standard filename format. For my subs I try to record how many I took and how many make it into the final stack. That way I can see if my yield is improving with time.

Even over the couple of years I have been recording my observations, it has been great to read back through and see how much more detail I seem to be able see now using mostly the same kit.

Cotswold AS also has an online form on our website for submitting observing reports and images to a database that our observing director maintains. He then gives a round-up of member's observations at the monthly meeting. It is a great way to see what everybody else in the group is up to.

I jot down short notes of what I have seen during the session in a little a6 notepad, then I write a full report for keepsies or for posting on here if I want, such a report will include full details and any little happenings that occurred.

Archived