Any good view spots near Surbiton

Having lived in Surbiton at one time, I think its going to be trip out to Esher Common and such areas to get some reasonable skies. Your local Astro group should know the best places locally :D

John.

Thanks all,

Looking forward to see what I can see from my balcony. Noticed a horribly bright street light last night that some how I hadn't appreciated before, hoping it doesn't spoil the view too much.

its kind-of illegal, but if you can get hold of a 55mW or higher green laser, aim it at the light sensor on top of the lamp post and it should go off for about an hour.

or you can ask your council to fit a light shroud to the lamp post to deflect more light downwards...which is where it should be anyway :D

Hi monkey_coral, I'm in Kingston. The nearest reasonably dark sky to us is out Leatherhead / Dorking way. I believe Ewell astronomical society use Headley Heath near Leatherhead for their observing sessions. I used to live in Epsom and the South and western skies were reasonably dark. I make occasional use of Richmond Park, as it gives a pretty good unobstructed 360 degree view of the sky and you're out of the way of immediate street lighting.

My main dark sky site is my mums back garden in the Isle of Wight, but not convenient for an impulsive observing session!

Hi

I belong to Guildford AS, a very active society. They regularly observe at Newlands Corner and Albury Heath. I live in Walton and it's only about 30 mins away

Cheers

Archived