advice wanted

I'd like to treat my boyfriend to a telescope - but my budget isn't huge. I have seen a couple of the bresser telescopes that were sold in Lidl and can pick them up for €60-70 but I've also found this one

telescope reflector motorised for sale in Clare: €195 - DoneDeal.co.uk

There's not a lot of info supplied with it but hoping somebody here can advise me, I tried to google the spec but with no results ...

It's pushing my budget but like L'Oreal - what can I say, he's worth it! But am I getting more scope for money or do I stick with entry level stuff?

Any advice would be great - thanks.

I would avoid the second hand one as it seems quite a lot for what it is - if you follow the link down to the 130M you can get a similar scope but slightly bigger aperture (which is important) for only a little bit more money and if you forego the elecronics you can get it for quite a lot less. Also, if you don't know what you're doing, it's hard to tell whether a second hand scope is a lemon.

Reflectors

Click on the reflector link in the message above and it will show you a page from a shop called First Light Optics.

Any of the Skywatcher 130 models are good beginner scopes.

welcome to sgl this is the best scope you can get under £200 Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P. this one is the cheapest good one, Dobsonians - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

the second has he same optics as the first, is made from cheaper materials and it needs a table to stand it on other than that it's a serious very portable piece of kit, there's nothing that gives as good views and is as portable unless you want to spend 2 to 3x more. On the other hand the 130p has an adequate tripod good optics and looks like a proper telescope and costs a little more all things considered is probably the best starter scope there is.

thanks for all the advice. I didn't realise I could get a decent starter for under £200 - the decision now is 130M or 130P? From what I can gather the motor is only really relevant for photography - which I don't really plan to do at this stage ... am I right in my thinking?

thanks a million for all your input so far.

thanks for all the advice. I didn't realise I could get a decent starter for under £200 - the decision now is 130M or 130P? From what I can gather the motor is only really relevant for photography - which I don't really plan to do at this stage ... am I right in my thinking?

thanks a million for all your input so far.

The motor enables you to track objects across the sky, as the earth revolves, objects move across your field of view. As the scope is on an equatorial mount, it can follow the object accurately. You don't need the motor though, you can do it manualy. I had the 130p, totaly recommend it, I've upgraded since I first had mine and I sometimes wonder why I did!!

The Skywather 130P on EQ2 mount is your best bet for under £200 imho. It's a proper instrument with a parabolic mirror - comes with 2 eyepeices, barlow lens, and a finder scope, all of wich are useable, and he'll be ready to go. You can allways get a right ascension (RA) motor for his Xmas or birthday pressie later in the year lol. :D

(photography will come later - cheapest way to start is with an SPC880 webcam for some plaetary imaging - but get him learning the sky for now - that'll take the best part of a year)

Archived