HOW many galaxies???

ollypenrice

For fuzzy lovers everwhere, here's a rush of the first part of my Crazy Virgo Project. Five panel mosaic (lots more to come) using Canon EF200L lens and Atik 4000 OSC. I am trying the lens wide open at a glorious F2.8 so corner stars are not great but maybe I need to refine the chip distance because I'm not at infinity. Not aiming for quality, just fun. 8x5 mins per panel.

The TS micro focuser is downright fantastic. Essential. This version is thrown together with work needed on star colour etc.

You do need to see it fullsize to get the point of the picture.

Widefield images including mosaics and overlays. - ollypenrice's Photos

Thumbnail here:

virgo%20preview-X3.jpg

Not a serious endeavour but I have always fancied a bash at this,

Olly

Very nice indeed, this is where I want a large format ccd on the back of my SKY90!!!

I thought you had an FSQ85, why not go with at and the biggest format ccd camera that you have available, or was it just too many panels?

We do have an FSQ85 here but there would be two problems. 1) the FL with reducer is 328mm (as opposed to 200) so you would need a staggering number of panels and 2) the Tak is F3.9 which is only half as fast as the Canon lens (F2.8) so each panel would need twice as long. I'm not that interested in the Virgo Cluster!!

This is just a fun thing to do. I'm labelling up a negative version at the moment just to entertain myself.

Olly

Olly,

I haven't counted them, but I put your 'plate' through Unimap, and it produced the following. For an image at the original size download here

You need to download the fill-size file, zoom in and mouse around to truly see how many catalogued objects are in this image :(:p

If you zoom in on the preview it is all mushy :D

old_eyes

post-17595-133877600351_thumb.jpg

Archived