Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My best M101 under the SEVERE light pollution...

AlexxxAA

I know its lame and embarrassing compared to everyone else here (and especially compared to Luis ;)) , but i still thought i should share :o

14 x 5min, ISO 100. Baader Neodymium. 10 darks and 10 flats.

20 x 5min, ISO 200. Astronomik CLS Clip. 10 darks and 10 flats.

All through the AT8IN, and stacked together for 2hr50min total :eek:

I applied the Gradient Xterminator, but i still couldnt get the background dark :)

I guess with all this LP this is pretty much as good as its gonna get. Thanks to everyone in SGL that has helped me to achieve to finally image deep space ;)

Now i shall move on and try to image as deep as i possibly can here in LA. Hopefully further experimentation will lead to even better results :D

Thanks and Clear Skies! :)

post-24989-133877599858_thumb.jpg

If you used photoshop, open your image then open up levels and slid the left hand pointer right towards the histogram, should make your background darker

This is a hard target in dark skies so I think you've done well :)

Edit: ive attached a screenshot to show what I mean

post-19540-133877599983_thumb.jpg

Another little play.

Levels adjusted as per shaunster's advice, except I adjusted each RGB separately.

Did a pass of Neat Image to reduce the noise.

I then duplicated the layer. Used the clone stamp to cover up the galaxy, and to remove the brightest stars. Then Gaussian Blur until the stars just disappeared. Then changed the blending mode to Difference, set the opacity at about 50%. This helps to get rid of some of the background gradient.

it's still a bit noisy round the galaxy though.

It's a very good result as it is a very faint DSO to image under light pollution:icon_salut:

post-21666-133877600035_thumb.jpg

Shaun: lol i thought i had moved it all the way over. guess i didn't pay attention hahaha thanks ;)

Zak: I definitely need to read up on my photoshop lol. i think the galaxy is noisy because i tried the high-pass filter i had read about in an Astronomy magazine article to help bring out some details in objects :o

Archived