SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first DSO ~ M57

Specman

Hi guys,

Well finally after a year or more and a huge financial outlay I got my first DSO! :eek:

To be honest it was only my second light with all my new kit and things did't go to plan re alignment so I was rushing to get set up in the dark which didn't help! I finally got an reasonably accurate alignment only to realise my camera wasn't focused. ;)

So I was using it as a test really to practice and see some of the more elusive DSO's.

I managed to capture the Sombrero Galaxy, Sunflower Galaxy, M3, M63, M13 and M57. All were short exposures as I still haven't mastered controlling everything on the laptop yet, its a steep learning curve! :)

This image is only 10x 1 minute exposures at 800 ISO using my un-modded Canon EOS 1000D and a remote shutter release.

Any construtive critism, help or advice would be much appreciated. I was chuffed that my stars are nice and round, my first attempt of M42 they all looked like Tik-Taks! :D

Well off to process the rest of the data.

Thanks for looking!

Clear Skies!

Mark

post-19654-133877599782_thumb.jpg

Very nice capture Mark considering it's only second light with the gear and all the rush to set up. The trackings good with no noticeable trailing, and the objects crisp with all the right colours - looks great to me though I'm no expert.

Do you use a bhatinov mask to focus? Might be useful. Also - you can control everything on the camera via usb with Astro Photography Tool (APT) and pre set an exposure scheme - might be worth a look.

Great job :)

Do you use a bhatinov mask to focus? Might be useful. Also - you can control everything on the camera via usb with Astro Photography Tool (APT) and pre set an exposure scheme - might be worth a look.

Great job :)

Not yet! I just got all the software loaded and ASCOM and CdC working tonight. APT is plugged in but not looked at it yet. I did this using the live view on the back of the camera and a remote shutter! My plan is to get it all running on the lappy. ;)

Cool - just got mine all working (on the lappy) for the first time last weekend so we're about at the same stage software wise - I chose Stellarium over CdC just cos I'm more familiar with it no other reason - and that ascom's more simple than the website leads one to believe lol :)

Great capture mate!,

Once you get it all fixed up to the lappy you won't look back! I used to use a Nikon D60 and had sit with the scope all night with an ir remote:D

Looking forward to seeing more images sir!

Matt.

It was one of those things. I just knew that i had fluffed the focus and that it wasn't quite perfect. :)

I just wanted to see if everyhing worked. I was getting impatient as I've been blundering around in the dark for a long time, but its getting better at least now I know I'm messing up and how to fix it for next time. Upwards and onwards! ;)

Cool - just got mine all working (on the lappy) for the first time last weekend so we're about at the same stage software wise - I chose Stellarium over CdC just cos I'm more familiar with it no other reason - and that ascom's more simple than the website leads one to believe lol ;)

I love Stellarium but was advised to go for CdC and was playing about this evening and I can see the potential. It has lots of features to help with imaging. Stellarium is my first love though! :eek:

ASCOM for me was a bit of a nightmare using Windows 64-bit Windows 7. I just couldn't connect to the mount until I went into Simulator (I'd given up on it!) then switched back and 'hey presto', light dawned! :)

I had to set all the drivers to XP 32-bit compatible to get it to come to life on my machine.

Archived