Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

galaxies in virgo

geoff1962

im using a skywatcher 200p and am struggling to see any galaxies in virgo, dont know if im using the right magnification or if im doing something wrong, collimate everytime i use scope, anyone able to help in if im doing something wrong and if not which galaxies should i be able to see:(

OK, you should certainly be able to see lots in the Virgo Cluster: my first view of it was with an 8" and simply by sweeping the area I was able to pick up several straight away. Make sure you've got the basics sorted: decent chart (you need a fair bit of detail in order to identify Virgo Cluster objects correctly), properly aligned finder, and view when the objects are at their highest. Make sure your red map-reading light is as faint as you can manage, so that you can properly dark-adapt.

For charts I would suggest SkyAtlas, Uranometria or the free TriAtlas at JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy. A good place to start hopping from is Denebola (the tail of Leo). It's very easy to get lost, which is why you need a decent chart. The best area is Markarian's Chain (which includes M84/86) - with an 8" I've viewed all of the main members of the chain, a very beautiful sight.

Once you've got yourself into the cluster using your finder, use a detailed chart with your lowest-power eyepiece and navigate in small steps. I used a 32mm plossl with my 8". Once a galaxy is found, view it at whatever power it can take (I would go up to an 8mm plossl with the 8"). If you lose track of the identity of galaxies (which is very easy to do), make a sketch and compare it with your chart later.

the easiest way in my experience is to start from Vindemiatrix (? spelling) and turn right - if you're skies are dark with an 8" scope they should be pretty easy to spot at low mags. I find "Guide to Astronomical Wonders" very helpful too.

Saturn is in virgo at the mo and makes a good marker for trawling, go directly up from saturn and you should come across the desired area. It works for me and i've only got a 6" newt. they're quite elusive with a 6" tho but as i said it's a good place for trawling.

Adamski

Saturn is in virgo at the mo and makes a good marker for trawling, go directly up from saturn

That's exactly what I did last night, I couldn't believe how many galaxies I could find just by sweeping that area, 2 or 3 in the same fov at the same time.

Must have seen 6 or 7 seven in total but I had no idea which was which :)

It did seem darker than usual last night, I could see M81/82 and M51 in my finderscope which I haven't been able to do before.

Archived