NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using laser and chesire collimator

Is it possible/normal to check collimation with both and have one appear to be on and the other off kilter.

I checked the coll with the chesire first and it was slightly off. Then plugged in the laser and it was slightly off. Cool, they appear to agree.

I adjusted using the chesire and the laser was off. adjusted using laser and chesire is off. Or is me that is off, very possible.

John

Have you got a barlow? If so look up collimating using a laser/barlow it helped me a lot.

I also use a self centering 2" to 1.25" adapter to avoid any laser offset issues and as it's nicer to use for visual too.

Steve

Laser collimator's I find are only any good to quickly sort collimation after driving to your dark site. Cheshire collimator's are the most accurate way to collimate your scope but just try doing that in the middle of a dark field with only red torch light. Laser collimator's need to be collimated themselves to be accurate and then you have the problem of slight offset when tightening the focuser thumbscrews to over come.

Ok,

So, I have not totally lost it, just mostly.

Will review the videos and get the barlow out, have not opened it yet anyway.

See what happens. Will let you know.

Thanks,

John

Archived