Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope advise

Hi All,

I have posted on here a few times now about my choice of first telescope, and after reading loads on here and elsewhere I thought I had decided on the skywatcher explorer 150pl on eq3-2. As a newcomer I am not sure yet weather I will be a planet man or dso so, was looking for a bit of an all rounder. I was hoping to do some photography but again after reading about it on here I realised that for my budget photography isnt really realistic (budget of around £300). So with that in mind I have noticed I could get the skywather 200p dobsonian for basically the same price as the 150pl, for a newcomer with no preference (as yet) to planets or dsos would it be better to go for the bigger apperture dobsonion?

Thanks

Tim

For visual use, as you have already alluded to, you will get more scope for your money with a dob.

My advice would be to go with the dob and see how you go with it. For astrophotography you will need to seriously consider what budget you can afford as its not a cheap hobby to get into.

Aperture is always a big asset, so if you wish to forego the bells and whistles a 6" scope on an equatorial mount offers, then an 8" Dobsonian is great alternative. The difference in light grasp is in the area of the two.

A 6" mirror = 28.2 square inches.

An 8" mirror = 50 square inches.

Quite a difference.

Ron.

i would get the 200 dob, they are very popular and if you decided to sell it to fund a different scope in the future you would have no trouble finding a buyer,(but you will want to keep it:D)

With a dob you could still have go at lunar/planetary photography. With a webcam this can be really low cost. A good way to see if photography is your sort of thing without breaking the bank.

Regards

Barry

Hi All,

I have posted on here a few times now about my choice of first telescope, and after reading loads on here and elsewhere I thought I had decided on the skywatcher explorer 150pl on eq3-2. As a newcomer I am not sure yet weather I will be a planet man or dso so, was looking for a bit of an all rounder. I was hoping to do some photography but again after reading about it on here I realised that for my budget photography isnt really realistic (budget of around £300). So with that in mind I have noticed I could get the skywather 200p dobsonian for basically the same price as the 150pl, for a newcomer with no preference (as yet) to planets or dsos would it be better to go for the bigger apperture dobsonion?

Thanks

Tim

I'd say go for both planets and DSO's.Go 8" Dob!

Now i sound like a TV commercial.:D

No, really.Planets are nice to see but there are only 8 of them.If we don't count Neptun and Uran (because, you won't be able to see any details on them) there are only 6 of them.+Moon.

What i want to say, you will get bored after some time of planetary and lunar observings.

I dont know about difference between 150 and 200mm aperture, but 8" Dob is best value for money.

Archived