Using webcam through eyepiece.

A webcam will act as an eye piece, and give you and image onto a laptop, normally they are equal to an eye piece the value of 4-6mm. I do not use Dobs but I am sure it is possible, tracking is the key however. You put the webcam in place of an eye piece. Have a look through images on here and you will get a feel of what your scope can do. Hope this helps.

as above.

you may need to mod your webcam tho if it doesnt have a nosepiece to fit into the focusser ( old plastic film canister perhaps?). then open up your video capture program, sharpcap is the best one ive found tho im sure others will correct me lol - this allows you to adjust brightness etc. one thing tho, you may not see your object on the screen straight away - this will be because it is out of focus, so keep adjusting the focusser until you see something. and centre your object using ur highest mag eyepiece before putting ur webcam in, otherwise url never find it!! lol.

and unless it has been long exposure modified, you will only be able to see the moon and planets, no stars.

*and breathe*

tom

My Dob does track.

I was aware that You can attach the webcam to the scope but I didn't know that it acted as a 4-6mm eyepiece. I thought it needed to be magnified through the eyepiece to get what I wanted.

Thanks

Simon

I would guess that you could make an adaptor to mount the webcam over the eye piece but most people use the phillips spc with the lens removed and a nose piece fitted in place, this slips into the eyepiece holder and equals a 6.3mm ep

Your 10mm Hyperion has adaptive screw threads underneath the soft rubber protective eyepiece covers, there are two threads large and small, if you search Baader`s web site you will find they have threaded accessories to fit almost any type of unit or camera to the lens for imaging, as a matter of interest I have recently obtained a Baader 11/4"ep holder which terminates in a 42mm T female thread and has 5mm of focusing ability, with the correct thread adapter, which Baader will be sure to have, you can screw this onto the end of the eyepiece, the unit is also useful for attaching to the old 42mm screw telephoto lens`s, you can then attach your webcam for short exposure photography, or guided if you have the facility.

John.

Should I be able to take images in the daytime to test it out?

Simon

certainly - i use an aerial on a distant rooftop when adjusting the finder scope, so i would suggest this as a first target to get you used to looking at a laptop screen whilst trying to move an object around with the mount adjusters! This will also give you some idea of the focussing, how wobbly the image is right after u have adjusted etc etc. have a go!

Archived