NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jumping on the competition Bus

spudicus

Just one question.

I have only taken photos by eyepiece projection.

Any reason why these cannot be submitted?

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

If you mean holding your camera up to the eyepiece then yes, this is fine. Eyepiece projection is a physical connection between the camera and the eyepiece. Holding the camera to the EP is called Afocal.

:clouds1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Afocal imaging does use Eyepiece projection in that an eyepiece is used to project the image to the camera, but there is no physical connection between the camera and the eyepiece.

Eyepiece projection is split into 2 types - postive and negative which use a convex and concave lens respectively. However, there is a physical connection between the camera and eyepiece in the form of an adapter(s).

At least, that's how I read and understand it from Michael Covington's book - happy to be corrected though :clouds1:

This is quite a grey area and easy to confuse one with the other.

I have done both eyepiece projection imaging and afocal projection imaging so here is how it breaks down.

Eyepiece projection uses a tele extender coupled to an SLR camera with an eyepiece inserted into the tele extender

this is done with the main SLR lens removed.

Afocal projection is done when using any camera held over an eyepiece thats inserted into a telescope focuser

whether the camera is supported by some sort of bracket or not.

I hope that this clears things up a bit for you guys.

Archived