NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 Pro Problem

Hi everyone.

I've recently bought a SkyWatcher 150PDS and an EQ5 Pro SynScan GoTo mount, and last night I finally got all my kit up and running for the first time... with one problem.

I polar aligned the scope and then went on to do a 2 star alignment. The first star I chose to align to was Arcturus. I selected it on the SynScan and when it finished slewing it was miles out. I didn't think anything of it initially, but then when I tried to manually slew to Arcturus to centre it, the mount wouldn't motor at all on R.A. Dec. was motoring as expected. I can hear the motor running on R.A, but with no output. I went through every option in rate (1-9) with no movement at all. I also tried tuning the power supply off and then back on, but this didn't make any difference.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or have any advice? Any would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Rob.

1) - was the scope perfectly balanced in all axis

2) - you need to start the scope from the default park position (scope parallel to the polar axis) before turning the synscan on

3) - check the locks are fully tight - if loose they will slip

4) - the rate will default to 2 after slewing, which is often hard to detect as there is some initial backlash in the gearing - does it move on a high rate ?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Malcolm - I took the time to balance the scope properly and it was in the park position before I powered up the SynScan. Locks were fully tight also. As for the rates, it wouldn't move at all, even when set above 5. When it was set below 3 I actually looked through the eyepiece to detect any movement but nothing! What a nightmare. As the dec. motor is running as normal, I'm suspecting a gear problem maybe?

DP - Not too sure to be honest about a clutch setting. I'll have a look through the SynScan manual again.

Thanks again!

Rob.

I would check the gears that the mount moves on. Under the plastic shrouds are 2 small sets of gears, one could need tightening up, there are tiny grub screws in the gears so they grip the shaft.

This happened to my EQ5 once, I could hear the motor whizzing away without any movement from the mount.

It's strange that it slewed to a position first and then stopped. The drive uses stepper motors, which if the load they are shifting is too much tend to slip, hence my question regarding the balance of the scope. The other possibility is that, as John pointed out, the grub screw on one of the gears has worked lose and is idling round the shaft.

I had a problem with a EQ5 that was not working. The same as you.....one of the motors was not working.

When i stripped the covers off(A easy Job) just unscrew the covers. I noticed one of the gears was not meshing correctly. just loosen the grub screw and move the gear into mesh.

If both the motors are running this might be your problem.

If not send it back to the supplier. mine went back and I had a replacement very quickly

Thanks to everyone for their input. After looking into it more I found that the problem was with one of the gears.

Pat, unlike the fault with your EQ5, this appears to have been a manufacturing fault. The grub scews were tight, but the two large gears were not even aligned close enough to mesh. Which is kinda strange considering it costs £500!

Anyway, this is how I found it after taking off the plastic covering.

post-26283-133877597252_thumb.jpg

To adjust it, the mount that the servo attaches to has to be repositioned. There is a screw that goes directly through the mount (below the polar scope) to the mounting plate. Undoing this slightly will allow you to reposition it.

So if anyone knows someone who comes across a similar fault, this could well be it (especially if it's a fault from a new product).

Thanks again!

Rob

Hey Malcolm. I must have worded it badly in the first place. It wasn't skewing at all in R.A, but with the servo running, it obviously expected there to be an output. It was even displaying the correct co-ordinates.

A pretty bad manufacturing fault. Hopefully there wasn't a batch of them.

Rob

• 8 months later...

Archived