NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging Cam

hayju01

I am upgrading my kit and it looks like I may havce about £400 to spare, the question is do I save it or fo i upgrade my imaging camera?

I have a flashed SPC900 which is great especially considering the cost but I have seen mention of cooled CCDs like the Atik Titan (@FLO for £468) and I've also seen the Meade Deep Sky Imager II (Colour) @ £305.36.

I wonder if the Meade is such a good deal?

Will I get significantly better imaging using either of these over my SPC?

My new kit is going to be very much for planetary imaging intially but the mount will allow me to move to DSOs later on. My thinking is that the SPC900 is probably goign to surfice for planetary images.

thoughts on this?

There is a noticable improvement in webcam vs planetary dedicated camera (DMK/DFK/DBK21, QHY5v/QHY5 and other). For DS imaging that depends. You can use the "planetary" cameras by catching a lot of frames on short X-second exposures.

DSI II isn't super performer - it has some drawbacks like interlaced sensor (but high sensitivity, also in QHY6 Pro), and no cooling. Atik Titan is cooled, but still the imaging sensor isn't big. It can produce nice images but longer exposures will be needed to produce nicely illuminated frames (that are most effective in producing cool images).

Good point. I am currently borrowing my mother in laws Canon Powershot SX20. I know this is not a 'proper' DSLR and it cant remove the lense so will need the additional craddle. I assume it has the CMOS rather than CCD although havent check this out thourghly yet. I'm hope that my new kit (C9.25/NEQ6 when it arrives) will be strong enough to support cradle and camera.

For a DSLR you use a "t" mount and adapter - this allows you to fit the camera bayonet fitting to the "t" mount and then slip the adapter directly into the focusser. Your scope/mount will easily carry a DSLR (plus quite a bit more!!).

PS Don't worry about the type of sensor - they work.

PPS Most astro people use Canon cameras, for starters a 1000D (now out of production) or 1100D (new model) are cheapest and will work well.

Archived