I've started hunting Messiers, So far M13,M5,M3,M92 In a few days and I was wondering if anyone else is on the chase or long finished and can point me to the next, I've only got a small one,

4 and a half inch reflector f8 and a handfull of eyepieces. :)

Just read I'm on the 'Messier Marathon' but the Visual Magnitude of most is far beyond my scope, I look at getting a dob 6" or 8" would be a dream. Best start saving. Cheers

Nothing compares for aperture at that price range :)

I'm working through the Messier list as a night sky learning exercise as much as anything.

I bought Stephen James O'Meara's book 'The Messier Objects' ( ISBN 978-0-521-55332-2 ) which I really like, O'Meara is really enthusiastic and this is reflected in his book.

You've got to be impressed with Messier locating these objects with equipment far inferior to what is available to amatuers today ( and nobody to tell him where they are ! )

I'm working through the Messier list as a night sky learning exercise as much as anything.

I bought Stephen James O'Meara's book 'The Messier Objects' ( ISBN 978-0-521-55332-2 ) which I really like, O'Meara is really enthusiastic and this is reflected in his book.

You've got to be impressed with Messier locating these objects with equipment far inferior to what is available to amatuers today ( and nobody to tell him where they are ! )

The story I heard is that he was comet hunter and that these things kept getting in the way of comet hunting, the list was a list of places to avoid

You should be able to see an awful lot of them with a 4.5" scope, I reckon. I'm fairly sure I've only added three or four to my list since I've had the ST120. All the others have been with the ST102 or ST80. OK, so they're refractors rather than reflectors, but they're still both smaller aperture.

The biggest problem right now is probably lack of contrast because of the haze that won't seem to go away.

Fingers crossed for tonight, though there's some cloud building up in the south east at the moment threatening to spoil everyone's fun.

James

Cheers guys, You have given me hope on all 110 of the little gems.

Hoping for a 10" dob soon, Well and truly got the bug and will keep you informed

through the coming year of my mindless hunt for little fuzzy smudges. I'm going to need lots of help.

Cheers guys, You have given me hope on all 110 of the little gems.

Hoping for a 10" dob soon, Well and truly got the bug and will keep you informed

through the coming year of my mindless hunt for little fuzzy smudges. I'm going to need lots of help.

well they ain't going anywere, should have time to get on with seeing a few more myself :D

Archived