NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Autoguiding

JohnnyD333

Hello all,

Im currently in the process of ordering an autoguider. Ive been imaging strictly with a Celestron Advanced GT mount, prime focus, and getting average results under 4 min exposures. My question is about the effect an autoguider will have on the images. Will it eliminate the trails my images show if I go beyond 4 min exposures, or is this more related to polar alignment? Im just a little confused as to whether the autoguider will correct a rough polar alignment, or does the polar alignment have to be perfect for the autoguider to work properly. Sorry about the drawn out question; Im just curious about the benefits of autoguiding. Thanks again.

JD

You'll need to polar align as good as you can get it. Guiding will feed back to the mount to make corrections in tracking. Without good PA though trails will appear at some stage depending on the length of exposure :)

Im almost set on purchasing Orion's Autoguider. I was set on the package with the 90mm refractor, but now they emailed me and mentioned the new autoguider package with a 50mm scope. It weighs less and I rather not put too much stress on the mount. Here is the link Orion Telescopes: Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider Package

I was curious if having really good polar alignment and my mount doing the tracking would be good enough. But after reading many posts, and getting some responses directly, that guiding will help me go beyond that 4-5 minute exposure limit before my images start trailing. Any other autoguiders you guys have used I will look into as well, I havent made the purchase yet. Thanks again.

JD

I'm not familiar with the Starshoot but I have two 9x50 Orion finders and they are very crisp and clear. That looks like the 9x50 converted for a guide camera - the optics will be good.

I use an ST80 with SPC900 webcam which does the job very nicely, but probably above your weight threshold :)

Archived