Short exposure astrophotogrophy?

Why are they called Equitorial?

They are not equitorial as an EQ5 mount.

My Alt/Az goto has motors in both Alt and Az axis to track an object.

As best I can tell these bases are simply a motorised rotating base. So you have an undriven Alz/Az mount on a rotating base, so they do not track even in RA accurately.

It just seems to be somewaht misleading to potential purchasers for them to be termed Equitorial, especially in this hobby.

I thought equatorial platforms were an adjustable ramps similar to a wedges, in which they get polar aligned and then the dob get put on top. May be not, otherwise I guess it would be nerve-racking for low latitude users.

Anyway, I heard dob tubes have quite a lot of flex, they're ok for visual but probably not the best for long exposure.

If it is a tracking dob, it is like having any other alt-az motorized mount, and you should be able to get reasonable sub-lengths. On my mounts I can usually get upto 30 seconds without any problem, and that can give quite reasonable results. The problem you will have is field rotation - the objects will rotate round the centre of the frame if you expose for too long - this will be most visible at the edges.

HTH

Archived