Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5x Barlow

jayjt29

Hi.

If you have the standard 10mm and 25mm that came with your scope then a 10mm with a 5x barlow is going to take you up to 375x which would be too much for that scope. Theoretical max for your scope would be 300x but I always found that planets became quite blurry at anything over 200x with my 150 when I had it.

You might be better off getting some better eyepieces instead.

Regards

Steve

Imaging with a 5x barlow and an SPC900 is just about do-able (I do it), but attempting visual observing with a 5x is complete madness (in my opinion, of course).

Would a 5x barlow be to much for my SW 150P? I want to view saturn and other planets larger than what i can with the EP's and x2 SW Barlow i already have.

Thanks

Jay :)

Would this be any more useful for a 150pl bearing in mind like jay i have the sw25 and sw10?

Thanks for the replies guys. Might give one ago for imaging... I have been looking at the images taken on the 12string.me.uk site for reference of what can be done with time and effort with the kit i have.

Jay

Would this be any more useful for a 150pl bearing in mind like jay i have the sw25 and sw10?

I would have thought that for visual the supplied 10mm with a 2x barlow would be optimum. Having said that, the supplied 10mm and barlow could both be improved on which might be a better option for you. I'm having some luck with my 9mm ortho which was cheap from lyraoptic.co.uk (£55). Ortho's are good for planetary and I've not found the 9mm too difficult to use - its volcano topped. I had a more traditional 5mm ortho before and it was like trying to see through a pinhead.

Maybe a 9mm ortho with a 2x tal barlow would be your limit with good seeing? Tals are out of stock everywhere at the moment though. The televue barlows are great, but much more expensive :eek:

Do your research before you buy though otherwise you may end up with eyepieces that don't suit you and don't suit your scope (often overlooked) - orthos aren't great for those with glasses for example.

Best of luck and I hope I've helped with my limited knowledge :)

Steve

Archived