Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Viewing experience, and advice on making it better?

Hi guys, Me again. been having loads of fun with my skywatcher 130. havent actually used the motor yet as am figuring out an alternative power source for it other than a huge battery pack.

However, all I've really seen is Saturn. Which I have been very happy with through my standard skywatcher EP's. The 6.5mm Super Plossl I purchased really isnt working at the moment for it as I think with such a high magnification saturn only stays in view for a few seconds before Im adjusting everything again. I wish there was some way to make my EQ2 more sturdy, I realise now I made a huge mistake purchasing the EQ2. Im just hoping that a motor is going to greatly increase my chances of a "good Viewing" as the way I see it, the less Im actually touching the scope or mount the better as it wobbles like mad. Also is there any good electronic focusers out there? Something thats not going to give my C.Card to much of a sting? Trying to bring an object like saturn into focus using a higher mag is very frustrating as the wobble is so huge I cant tell if Ive focused enough or too much etc.

And lastly, Now Ive been looking for a couple of DSO's for 3 nights straight. Mainly the M103 in Casseopia. Ive located ruchbah and then moved my finder out into the rough location of M103 and scoured about for ages. but seriously cannot see anything apart from some very nice star formations. Now most of my viewing has to be done early evening really as Im barely out past 11PM (work early) and Ive noticed that casseopia is just above the (Loads and loads and loads) of light pollution thats clearly getting in the way. But I figured that Something like the M103 would be pretty distinguishable. Im using my 25mm ep as its the lowest mag Ive got and ive not even picked up a faint fuzz!

Any advice from you pro's?

Please help. Im desperate :)

Hi

Can't help you with your mount woes. Sorry:( ( I gave up equatorial mounts years ago).

I would say that in the early evening Cassiopeia is not well placed for observing.

IMO I would wait until later in the year.

However M103 is a "loose and poor" open cluster best seen in bins.

In a telescope it's more difficult to distinguish it from the rich star fields in which it lies.

Why not have a go for the wonderful Globular clusters on show at the moment or try for some Galaxies in Virgo, Coma.

Regards Steve

Awesome, thanks for the links. I think I will pop into town at the weekend and grab some cheap servos and give a DIY focuser a go. Seems very simple and effective.

Also the messier catalog seems great, Im sure it will help me figure out whats visible, Im using stellarium at the moment.

Swamp thing, I thought I might have actually been viewing M103 but wasnt sure if it would have been distingiushable. So Im thinking you are right there. Ive been everwhere around the general area and got zip! Will give the galaxies ago you mentioned. Maybe this evening infact. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Archived