Newbie lens questions

Hi

New to this so thanks in advance. Just purchased my first scope the Skywatcher 130p. Can anyone recommend the best additional lenses and also camera mounts.

Feeling like I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment

Thanks v v much

Mike

Hello Mickyboy,

Best advice is to use what you have for a bit and learn what it really can do for you.

I'm guessing that this scope comes with a 25mm and 10mm lens or similar. If you want, you can go lower power for deep sky and stunning wide-angle views. Something like a 32-40mm plossl lens will do the job. You may also wish to do something with planets or lunar work at higher magnification. Consider either a barlow lens (doubles every lens you have) or a higher power single lens, perhaps 5-7mm. You will undoubtedly also want a lunar filter (the scope makes Luna incredibly bright!), a red LED torch and a star map, maybe some sort of case for your accessories, too.

You don't have to get it all at once, mate! See what others have at the local club before you buy as well. It can save you a bundle from making the wrong purchase.

As for photography, leave that alone for a few months, I think. Astro photos are a great deal more than slapping a camera onto a telescope. This is an entirely new and separate set of skills (and challenges!) that require one to have already mastered both the basics of observational astronomy (constellations, types of objects, where to find them and what they look like) and telescope operations (set up, alignment, guiding, collimation, repair, etc.)

Add complexity only when you have achieved mastery!

You have loads to do and enjoy, mate! Let us know how the first few nights go. Cut your teeth on Saturn and the Moon, get out to your first astro club meeting, and then see how you are doing. :)

Dan

Hi Mickeyboy,

I have the same scope as you and I bought this eyepiece kit http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=revelationepset

What a difference it made!! I cannot praise these eyepieces highly enough. For the price they are unbeatable and will bring your seeing to life. I am now very happy with the scope and have had some great views. I also invested in an RA motor which is useful when using my SPc 900 webcam.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm a v keen photographer into my aviation so this was my next step. Definitely going to play with what I have first. Yes the scope came with 25mm and 10mm so that's enough to get started. I've got v gd camera equipment but that's for after I've mastered the scope first.

Lovely clear sky forecast tonight so hoping for some gd viewing. Will keep you posted on my first few nights.

Looking for a club next. Think one in Altrincham (Cheshire) looks my nearest and looks like a gd set of people.

Mike

If you want to get more magnification go for a 6mm or 7mm, one of the planetary's. That should give you something around 100x.

If you want more then you may need to consider ones of greater cost, but see what the planetary's can do first.

The 10mm that the scope comes with is often not that good, so another eyepiece could be good.

The 10mm EP that came with my Celestron 130 seems quite reasonable. I bought a Celestron Omni Plossl 4mm which I've found quite difficult to use - in fact the Celestron 2x Barlow and 10mm seem to work better (though 5mm rather than 4). The problem with the 4mm is eye relief - you need your eye almost touching the EP to get any sort of field of view.

I wondered how well the Celestron Plossls were considered against others.

Archived