Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

yes should have given better description. my bad.

so the stars "appear" to revolve around polaris and for the large part for me from the northern hemisphere the stars move east to west. but when looking north all stars below horizontal of polaris move west to east.

now my RA axis with scope attached has roughly 240° of movement.

so i can only track stars 120° either side of a imaginary vertical through polaris.

is this right?

cg5-sw130p

scopera.jpg

Yes Lee - you are quite right. If you have a mount like a Dobsonian (altazimuth) then you can point to any part of the sky ('cos it goes 360° round an round and from 0°-90° up and down. However equatorial mounts have aproblem in that for all of them there is a region of the sky that is inaccessable at any point in time as the mount will get in the way. As Yeti says - wait long enough and the Earth's rotation will bring those inaccessable regions back into a position where the mount no longer prevents you from observing those objects.

Archived