SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mono camera with filter wheel and camera lens?

old_eyes

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a mono CCD and filter wheel with a camera lens? does that give too much spacing between sensor and lens?

I know Olly Penrice uses his Atik OSC with a camera lens for widefield, but I don't know if it is possible to use a mono.

The info on the Geoptik adaptor suggest you might need an extension tube between the adaptor and the camera to get focus, but I don't know if there is room for a filter wheel.

Anybody got any experience?

old_eyes

Hi, you can use a mono camera, yes, but on the Geoptik you have to insert filters into the adapter by removing lens or camera, which would be a palaver for LRGB! Not impossible but... On the other hand widefield Ha is fabulous.

You need to know the chip distance on your camera. The Geoptik is 19mm thick I think, but check on the Altair Astro site. I find the easiest way to tweak my chip distance is to add some Baader T thread bits with spacer rings.You can find them on the Telescope Service website.

Olly

Hi, you can use a mono camera, yes, but on the Geoptik you have to insert filters into the adapter by removing lens or camera, which would be a palaver for LRGB! Not impossible but... On the other hand widefield Ha is fabulous.

You need to know the chip distance on your camera. The Geoptik is 19mm thick I think, but check on the Altair Astro site. I find the easiest way to tweak my chip distance is to add some Baader T thread bits with spacer rings.You can find them on the Telescope Service website.

Olly

Thanks Olly, that's what I remembered. Ha widefiled sounds good. It's all part of the Mono OSC debate that is going on in my mind at the moment!

old_eyes

I have done it with a HX916 CCD and Astro engineering (19mm) filter wheel back in 2008.

See here

Mike.

Interesting results Mike. Looks like it was an M42 lens, so I guess there was little additional space taken up with an adaptor. Putting a Canon lens on that rig (I have several) would have used more space.

I need to do some sums.

old_eyes

What is exasperating is that it would be possible to get filters to work in a suitable wheel between Canon lenses and CCD camera but I don't know of anyone who makes the necessary. Some space could be saved by using unmounted filters if need be. Come on the Astro Industry!

Olly

The only company that I know that have a co-ordinated set up including a filter wheel that would allow use of a canon lens with the correct spacing is the QSI series of cameras. They have a specific adaptor to get the correct spacing. Doesn't really help for other makes though. As you say it's a surprise more companies don't have such set ups.

Ian

The only company that I know that have a co-ordinated set up including a filter wheel that would allow use of a canon lens with the correct spacing is the QSI series of cameras. They have a specific adaptor to get the correct spacing. Doesn't really help for other makes though. As you say it's a surprise more companies don't have such set ups.

Ian

I don't think it will always work though. Eg the 8300 chip will vignette at fast f ratios with the 1.25 filters.

Olly

What is exasperating is that it would be possible to get filters to work in a suitable wheel between Canon lenses and CCD camera but I don't know of anyone who makes the necessary. Some space could be saved by using unmounted filters if need be. Come on the Astro Industry!

Olly

What distance between rear element of camera lens and chip do you need in your rig Olly?

old_eyes

There's always the Moravian G2 series with the 8300 chip. Uses 31 mm filters.

They make all the popular adaptors giving the correct spacing.

The only mention of it seems to be that it's a brick ! Rather like the QSI and FLI.

Moravian Instruments Inc. :: Products

They even have a capture, guide and processing programme rather like, but not the same as, Maxim. Free with each unit :)

It seems to be well supported as when I sent an email to them at night, I got a reply before 9.00 the next morning.

It's either unknown or ignored. Shame really.

Dave.

I've just done a rapid look see at cameras, filter wheels and Canon adaptors on Ian King's site..

Unless I'm missing some thing the Moravian comes in at less than the SBIG and Atik and QSI and FLI and.....

I must be wrong.

Dave.

Archived