Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Stripdown

George

I stripped down my EQ6 yesterday for a re-grease after the previous owner (Dave Gibbons) reported a very slight vibration only detectable at high magnification. Well I can confirm synta's grease is discusting, I can only compare it with black treacle/runny tarmacadam/thick camp coffee. Anyhow I started with the DEC shaft, stripdown went OK and I soon had a pile of bits.

dec-strip.jpg

Then I discovered this:

dec-shim.jpg

This 1 of the 2 shims that go between bearings on the DEC shaft, I think its Teflon tho its extremely brittle. So I'm wondering.....how much should I be concerned? I had no choice but to reassemble using the broken bit but liberally plastered in the new grease I used. I'm hoping the new grease will compensate for the missing bits :D

grease3-5oz.jpg

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fortified-grease.htm

This was 4.99 from Halfords

Rebuild went OK but I now have some play in the worm shaft, hopefully this can be adjusted out. If I get time today I'll do the RA shaft.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Interesting stuff 8)

Did any of the strip down cause you problems or did it all go to plan?

When I did a similar refurb to my EQ5, I found that one of the plastic shims

had lumps of metal flashing pressed into it.

Replaced it with a homebrew one made from milk carton plastic.

Wonder if you can get replacements of those :D

• 2 weeks later...

I found a guy in the states who does a washer replacment kit

The set of 20 spacers will be a total of $13.00 shipped. There are 4 different thickness.

4 X 0.010 inch Delrin

4 X 0.015 inch Delrin

4 X 0.020 inch Delrin

8 X 0.004 inch Mylar ( these are really useful for fine tuning the adjustments)

The guys called Doug Dieter email is skygazer@kennaquhair.com

George

How did your re-assembly go? Did you replace any bearings or any other bits?

I'm going to do mine, with assistance, but if I need/should replace bits then I need to get them organised. On the Yahoo group there are people who have replaced various bits .........

George

How did your re-assembly go? Did you replace any bearings or any other bits?

I'm going to do mine, with assistance, but if I need/should replace bits then I need to get them organised. On the Yahoo group there are people who have replaced various bits .........

Stripdown and rebuild went very well apart from 1 of the plastic shims being broken, for piece of mind I will be replacing as soon as they arrive in the post. I will be doing the full shim Monty as found in this article which covers the DEC shaft but also applies to RA:

http://www.beevo.com/dec_assemble.htm

Also sourced some replacement worm bearings as these seemed to bind a little (watch buy & sell cos I had to buy 5 pairs to get a good price and I'll be selling the surplus on :wink: ) I had a little slop in the DEC shaft after rebuild but then I found the little adjusters and that took care of that :D Everything feels really smooth now, well worth doing IMHO, set aside at least 3 hours per shaft :rolleyes: and make sure you have some disposable rubber gloves cos this job is dirty & messy.

TBH I got a lot of enjoyment and learned alot about the mount, worth it for the entertainment value alone.

I'll be putting up a page devoted to EQ6 stuff on my website very soon with links to everything I found on the web regards EQ6's

Archived