Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter simulation software for GRS times?

Space Cowboy

The other day I checked Stellarium to see when the GRS would be in view..seeing it was on show before dawn I set my alarm for 4am only to discover no GRS!! So I assume stellaruim brilliant as it is does not track the GRS.

After looking online I cannot find a Jupiter simulator only the Mars one. Any ideas?

Sky and Telescope have an on line version for predicting the GRS transit times. Enter the time and date as indicated and it will give the times when it crosses the centre of the disc. Don't forget that it can be viewed either side of these times as it enters the disc and leaves it.

SkyandTelescope.com - Planets - Transit Times of Jupiter's Great Red Spot

Ht Stuart

I made the mistake of using stellaruim to predict GRS and it was no where near I think it must just be random on there although the moon transits are accurate

As David said use the sky & telescope one he has linked it is almost accurate to the minute and GRS can be observed about 50min either side I think

PS it is on show at mo :o

Kevin

You can download a little app from my club's website that will give predictions for all Jupiter events inc GRS and also can show the moons of Saturn and some more. On the left of the opening page follow the link to The Planets. It is great for identifying the moons, now or at any time in the past or future.

Castle Point Astronomy Club

Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived