Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar evening at Crater Atlas

acr_astro

Hi all,

yesterday morning, the big, bright rock in the sky appeared so inviting for a telescopic visit but that would have conflicted heavily with my work life. So I did not visit Luna yesterday. frown.gif

In the evening I already prepared everything on the terrace and got up an hour earlier today. Preparation paid off, it took me just 10min from bed to eyepiece smile.gif

Right at the evening terminator the ridges in eastern Mare Fecunditatis looked a bit like Serpentine Ridge in Mare Serenitatis. I thought a minute of doing a sketch of the whole visible Fecunditatis region with Messier and Messier A, but these craters were not favorably lit. The evening sun was still too high over them. So I left them for a future session wink.gif In the end, I decided to go once again for favorably lit Atlas and Hercules this morning  and – due to limited time until leaving for office – I went for Atlas alone.

Here’s my sketch:

post-34493-0-52852800-1443689211_thumb.j

Telescope: Martini 10” f/5 Truss tube Dobsonian
Eyepiece: TS HR Planetary 7mm
Date & Time: Oct 1st, 2015 / 0540-0630 CEST
Place: home terrace, Dusseldorf region, Germany
Technique: chalk and charcoal pens on black sketching cardbox

Hope you like it!

Clear skies!

Achim

Hi,

Very nice sketch. I love the way you get the feeling of depth to your drawings. This is something I struggle with. Once again, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the nice feedback. Regarding the depth in my drawings: Actually I'm stupidly sketching the areas in white or black or with their grey tone - without looking on whether that's a crater floor or rim or shadow. That's the whole magic. The threedimensional look then comes automatically ;)

Clear skies!

Achim

Archived