Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Basic Guiding setup

I have a small budget scope, 50x350mm which has coated optics and looking through it at terrestrial objects appears to be quite a good objective and probably an achromat as I can't see any obvious CA.

I was thinking of using it as a finder, but gave up when I realised it doesn't give the FOV I need, but is it likely to work as a guide scope with PHD/PHD2 and a Microsoft HD Lifecam? It has the advantage of being much lighter than my economy 70x7600 achromat.

As for mounting it, I realise it has to be very rigidly mounted to the main scope, but how much movement am I likely to need to be sure of getting a decent guide star in frame?

Sounds like a plan, and you don't need much movement since your guide star should be as close to the object imaged as possible... of-course unless your PA is spot on, since the further from the object the guide star is the more radial blur you will start to see on your exposures.

An AOG is cheaper, lighter and more ridgid. You'll get plenty of guidestars witrh a modern sensitive purpose built guide cam such as the QHY5L-II mono

OAGs are a bit of a pain in the bum with a CCD. Using one with a DSLR will be a real pain due to the spacings. 

@the OP, nothing to be lost by trying it.

Thanks for the feedback

An AOG is cheaper, lighter and more ridgid. You'll get plenty of guidestars witrh a modern sensitive purpose built guide cam such as the QHY5L-II mono

I can see the advantages, but nothing is cheaper than kit you have already got :-)

Does sound like it's worth a go, though.

Thanks for the feedback

I can see the advantages, but nothing is cheaper than kit you have already got :-)

Does sound like it's worth a go, though.

It'll be an exercise in frustration. Your scope is f8, focal length of 1200mm. Sticking an OAG on that will give a very narrow FoV. Then adding a not-very-sensitive webcam will leave you struggling to get a guide star.  I could barely get guisdestars when using a f5.5 refractor, an OAG and a QHY5. I had to buy a QHY5L-II to make it usable.

I'd try the spotting scope first, or convert your finder into a finderguider.

Having said all of that, what mount are you using?  You have an EQ3 listed in your sig...you'll need something better than that.

By "Does sound like it's worth a go, though" I meant the finder scope :-)

The mount is EQ3 but the tripod is EQ5, I get passable results up to 30 seconds, If I can extend that to a few minutes with guiding I'll be happy its a step upwards. An EQ5/6 is is the distant future.

I'm going to try using the Bresser for AP, and I have a good selection of camera lenses for larger targets.

Archived