Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using Canon as planetary camera

jsmoraes

A mate started my curiosity about the quality of Canon with planetaries. I did a test with Moon and Jupiter.

As they are many AVIs, with some options of filters and software for capture... I will publish as soon as they are ready.

As they will be many photos, and there is a limit of 1 Mb for each post ... I will do many posts here. Step by step !

For start point, the adpatation to use my Focal Extender 3x Explore Scientific 1.25" with Canon T3.

I didn't want disassembler all accessories, and I would like to test some filters. Therefore only the OAG is out of service.

Maybe an extensor of 35 mm together the focuser and Focal Extender isn't necessary. I believe that the focuser will have range. Although, in fact, I don't like my focuser positioned much out.

adapter-FE-CanonT3.jpg

Adaptor-FE-Canon.jpg

Well, these images are the first of my test.

GSO 305 mm - Canon T3 - Focal Extender 3x Explore Scientific

No filters- 25 % from 500 frames - FireCapture + AS!2 + Registax 6 + Photoshop CS3

FD: f/14  - Image Scale ~ 0.25"/px

jup-nofilter_1-250s_400iso_150428-18h45m

150x in Photoshop - FD equivalent: f/21.4 - Image Scale ~ 0.16"/px

jup-nofilter_1-250s_400iso_150428-18h45m

I know that is difficult compare two images from different days and seeing. But I was curious to see a comparison with ASI120MC.

comp-ASI-CanonT3.jpg

I will publish more images, later.

I wrote that the capture was done with FireCapture. It was a mistake ! FireCapture hasn't support for Canons. I used BackyardEos. This capture was done with 5x mode.

The difference can be because of seeing, focus and mainly for pixels size. Canon 1100D has 5.2 microns and ASI has 3.75 microns.

The focal length for both sets (with ASI and Canon) were almost the same : f/14 for Canon and f/14.5 for ASI. The resolution -scale image - (arcsec per pixel) was different: 0.25"/px for Canon and 0.17"/px for ASI.

Another issue is the 5x mode of Canon T3 video. Is it only electronic magnification ?

I will post the image of capture 1x mode later. And the Moons image, also.

I'm not sure I like the red hue of the images

Clouds in Jupiter seems to be brown. I try to do it, but normally the result is more red. My Canon 1100D is a stock one.

The ASI120MC image looks a bit overprocessed

Maybe... I tried to recover the maximum surface information. This work was a test of my Focal Extender 3x. It was from an work with animation of moons - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241637-jupiter-and-io-transit/#entry2637751 -  I let some noise in the process to don't loose some details.

And now, with movie mode 1x. A giant surprise ! Bad one ! sad_eyes.gif

The FOV is reduced to 1056 x 704 pixels, therefore reduced the resolution (Image Scale). A single photo has better performance.

Image Scale ~ 1 arcsec/px - FD equivalent: f/3.5 (Where is my focal extender 3x ? ) espanto.gif

This image is a crop of the giant black and empty photo ! It is with the real image size !

jupnof_250s_400iso_150428-18h46m53s_crop

With 200 % in Photoshop. There isn't pixels for enhance the image !

Conclusion, for planetary ... Canon T3 (1100D) ONLY with mode 5x.

Let's go see, now, the performance with the surface of Moon.

I'm not sure I like the red hue of the images

You are right. I am having some problems with my monitors ... or with my eyes. When I finished the proccessing I didn't saw the strong red-magenta. Today I saw, and I did a little correction. I hope they are a bit better.

Many people tell me about this red-magenta of my photos.

Ok, my last photos. The result wasn't good. I have some photos of Moon with Canon T3, not movie, and they are better.

I can use my Canon for planetary, and it will give me some medium quality images. I already did some tests before. I found the images in my site. They are not done with ressource 5x. http://astronomia-e-astrofotos.10697...T3-td1552.html

Perhaps I am having problems with adaptation 1.25" to 2". Focus seems to be another issue. Maybe the seeing didn't help, also.

moon-Canon-150428.jpg

LuaCanon-iso400-1-50s.jpg

Archived