Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart/Bubble Nebula query

Hi, last night I was trying to find the Bubble and Heart Nebula, which I'm sure I did. All I came across was a small open cluster, especially in the area of the Heart nebula. I was hoping to see some faint nebulosity but I did not! That is my question;

1) should I expect to see some nebulosity?

2) Some faint haze around these few bright stars?

I'm sure I'm going to answer my own question here. Is my problem LP and my scope capabilities? Should I invest in a better LP filter? I live right out in the suburbs. Cassiopeia is low down and about just over a hand width above nearby houses and from my direction of viewing in Nottingham, it sits over the A52, the lings bar road and Colwick industrial estate is a few miles away as the crow flys. You can see the LP almost right up to the bottom of cassiopeia

On a happier note which I'm chuffed about. I finally found my first galaxies in Ursa Major, M81 and M82. I always give some of the galaxies in Ursa Major ago but never seem to find them due to their magnitude. They were pretty faint with my 30mm. I did try a higher magnification ep to view individually but this did not make much difference.

Thanks for any feedback

I was observing these two nebulae last night in my dark site with C8, mag 6.0 sky, only the Bubble showed slight nebulosity without filter, with UHC or OIII filter, both shown up much better nebulosity,

By what I've read and my own observation, UHC and OIII can do 90% of the nebulae when a filter can be of any help.

David Knisely's comparo is a very good source to consult.

For NGC 7635, the Bubble nebula, you will definitely need to be at a dark site and best when Cassiopeia is located high. I have seen it using an OIII filter, good sky transparency is a factor to as would be adequate dark adapted vision. All considered, under the right circumstances a doable target though, in which the nebulosity will most likely be seen though fairly faint, with direct vision. Of course you can fix your position on M52 first then locate the nebula, a short spacing away. 

I've been looking at either a Baader OIII or UHC-S filter. Which one do you think would be better for viewing Nebulas? I'm just looking for a good all rounder for viewing only to start off with, and as my budget allows.

Archived