Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Super Polaris

Hello everyone,

I have the opportunity to buy a Celestron Super Polaris 8" Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. This will be my first scope. It is about 30yrs old but apparently in as new condition. There are numerous bits and bobs including a solar filter, dew shield and several eye pieces. It is on a large wooden tripod and has a working super Polaris mount.

I am aware that it was built during the "Haleys comet" period but according to my friend it worked faultlessly. He bought a Mead LX90 some time ago, so this one has not seen much use for a long time and he has decided to sell it.

Would you guys consider such a purchase or should I run for the hills?

All the best

Bob

I'd want to star test it, or get someone who knows how a decent SCT should performs to star test it for me. The Celestron and Meade scopes produced in the run up to the return of Halley's Comet do need to be treated with some caution because it's well known that both companies relaxed their quality control significantly to meet demand.

You may get a good one though and it could be a good buy. I bought a nice 1990 Celestar C8 for around £350 and it was really good optically :smiley:

Older SCT's can also suffer from "mirror flop" which is worth asking about. This can lead to the scope suddenly loosing collimation when the tube moves past a certain point and the mirror moves a little.

Many thanks gents,

I'm Hoping that as he is a friend of mine who I see on a weekly basis, he would be less inclined to sell me a pup.

I'll look into what is involved with star testing and either see if he will do it in my presence or see if I can borrow the scope for a while and do it myself, I don't know anyone who can do it for me.

If a scope suffers from mirror flop, can this be cured?

All the best

Bob

Thanks Peter,

I Think I'll see if I can "borrow" the scope for a while before I buy it. Price for scope, mount, eye pieces, sun filter and other accessories is £300. It is an amount I am prepared to "risk". Unfortunately I can't collect it for a couple of months as I can't drive due to an operaion on my shoulder. All I want to do now is go and get it and start playing :laugh:

Archived