SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st Jupiter Pic

physicus

Well, first post actually, apart from my hello. This is C9.25, virtually all of 2000 frames taken over a minute, Canon 7D 1/30s ISO800, eyepiece projection 25mm Celestron Plossl w Revelation 2.5x barlow, .MOV loaded into Lynkeos (Mac), + some not particularly intelligent fiddling to get something that looked reasonable.  I'm aware of the issues / limitations around dslr's for planetary, but am a great believer in squeezing out what you can from what you've got (up to a point) before splashing out on more kit; you always learn something, even if it's hiccups in the workflow.  Having got this out of my system,  I'll take a closer look at the merits of the ASI120MM-S or MC-S (or similar  - I really want to stay native to Mac, and note the tyranny of the PC in astrophotography software!).   Incidently, I noticed I could see a lot more detail on the planet using live view on the cameras monitor than direct through the eyepiece: dimmer, but more colour and contrast; so I'm thinking about an appropriate filter for visual now?  Anyhow, genuine first image with GRS, a few white spots and a sign of turbulence in the belts; I'm happy enough :smiley: .  BTW, the recently acquired AZEQ6 and C9.25 are an absolute dream.

post-41768-0-74023100-1425432867.jpg

Fantastic first image, well done. Great to get as much out of the kit you have especially with a new scope and mount to get working correctly, very sensible. New kit brings advantages, but sometimes a whole heap more problems.

There are a few people on here who use Mac, so they might be able to advise on software.......

Robin

Nice picture, with some good detail. Well done!

I agree with your philosophy of getting as much as you can out of your existing equipment. You do learn a lot more that way than just chasing the latest tech/fashion.

Archived